Damper/Servo attachment problems

Paul DC

Hi all.

My HM has been built for a couple of weeks and had run fine without the servo/damper hooked up (RD3)

Got all my parts for the RD3 today and hook it all up and have something strange going on.

When I hook up the RD3 with the ethernet cord, the HM starts blinking all three led's and the display flashes between "No pit probe" and the pit probe reading. This flashing happens very fast. (It is a thermocouple)

If I unplug the ethernet cord, all is well and if I plug it back in it starts happening again.

My soldering of my ethernet jack looks good to me under magnification.

Also, I have punched down both ground wires (servo and blower) into the jack. Do I need to wire them together to one wire and punch that down?

Lastly, my power supply is 12v 1a. I have read here that it may not be enough?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dave

If the HM output is 0 ( fan off ) and it's still doing that, then it sounds like something's amiss with the wiring between the HM and the rotodamper.

If it's happening when the blower is active, then I would assume your 12v power supply is under sized.

Steve:

Thanks.

No, it does not happen with the output at 0%. Only when I up the set point and it turns the damper and fan.

Guess I will have to wait for 2 days for a new psu from Amazon.

Thanks

Dave

You can also set your fan output max and startup max to 0% which will essentially disable your blower. If you still get resets, then the problem isn't the power supply (as there should be enough power to move the servo alone). I can't think of any way to disable the servo to take it out of the equation though unless you start disconnecting wires. You might also check to make sure the rotating bit of the RD3 isn't screwed in too tight such that it takes too much force to move. Force = Power!

Nice! I will say that I was a bit surprised at how much current it takes to move a servo when we implemented this feature. I mean I have a 3D printer that slings around a 1kg print head with 700mA and yet if I stall a teensy 9g servo it can pull over an amp? Nuts! Anyway, glad the power supply was all there was to it.

Back