Few WSC questions

BYoney

Had my first 2 cooks. Ckn thighs in the regular kettle mode and a turkey with the heat deflector. My questions are does the cooker run hot the first few uses and what would you guys do for a temp of 250-275 for 3-4hrs. How much charcoal, lighting method etc

I had a pretty full grill and I used the gas ignition. I had a helluva time keeping the temps lower than 350-325. Towards the end of the cook I practically had the bottom vents closed all the way.

Thanks for the advice in advance. I'm guessing this grill is all about the set up. I've heard how great it is at holding temps and responding to vent adjustments.

I did ribs on mine a week ago. I had no problem keeping temps in the mid-200s for an entire afternoon. I used 2 scoops of charcoal (used the Weber charcoal to try it out... not bad). Lower grate position, plate in place, foil pan with some water on the diffuser. I had the lower damper closed down to the smoke position and the upper damper open no more than about half. I did ignite with the gas starter... ran it about 9 minutes and the coals got going nicely.

I suspect you have your gas ignition on for two long. When I want to cook low and slow, I find it best to turn the gas ignition off after 5 minuets of running, any longer and I get run away temps.

Back