Low temperature

Charlie W

I have an older Weber gas grill , about 17 years old. It has 3 burners and 13 flavor bars and red lid. It has worked fine until lately. Now it doesn't seem to get as hot as it used to. I cleaned the burners, they looked ok. The only other thing I have changer is the regulator. When the grill was new it had the quick disconnect on the bottle and I changed it to one I bought locally. Could it need a Weber regulator and would new burners help? Thanks

It does not seem to be the problem with the gas bottle. The back burner seems to be ok, when you turn the knob the flame seems to go from low to high as it should. The middle burner and front burner do not change much if any when I go from low to high. They just stay low. I removed the burners a while back and cleaned them and it did ok the first time I used it, but after that not so good. I am just wondering if it may be time for a new sett of burners.

It's not the burners. If the holes are clear, and you've cleaned the burner lint out of the tubes the issue is further back. Either in the controls or the regulator.

Here's what I do when I have that issue.

1. Make sure everything is off. Main burners, side burner, propane tank. Also, open the lid to eliminate any risk of gas build-up.
2. Turn on the propane tank all the way. You can open it fast or slow - the grill doesn't care.
3. Let the grill build up pressure for a minimum of a full minute. This resets the safety valve that causes low temps. This is the most important step!
4. Light grill one burner at a time, starting with the front burner. Make sure the burners are on high.

That should get it going!

Back