Stoker and target temps

Jason_L

Hi all,

I've been using a 18.5 WSM for the past 3 years using information from this board with exceptional results. In the last month I've also been using a stoker.

On the first two smokes I've done, I've had problems maintaining my target temps using the stoker. Both smokes have been short test runs.

Smoke 1
I smoked a boneless leg of lamb. I set the target temp to 250 and lit using the minion method. I used a foiled empty water pan. By the time I got the WSM together, the temps were already at 255. I closed the top vent to about half closed and eventually the temps started to settle down and the blower started to cycle. Here where I believe I made my mistake. I was afraid that the blower was cycling too frequently so I opened the top vent slightly. Upon doing this, the temp raised to around 260 and would not come back down even with moving the top vent back to where it was. The smoke finished with the blower never cycling on again.

My conclusion: I think I had it right and shouldn't have messed with it once the blower started kicking in.

Smoke 2
I smoked two chickens. I used 1 chimney of lit kingsford competition and a foiled empty water pan. My plan was to run at 300. When I got the WSM together, the blower kicked on and ramped the pit temp up to 285, but could never achieve 300. The blower ran the entire smoke. With about 30 minutes to go, the pit temp started to drop. It turns out that I was almost out of charcoal.

My conclusion: I probably should have used 2 chimneys of lit charcoal. The blower would have kicked on less and I would have used less fuel.

My question is: Are these types of issues maintaining a target temp with the stoker usual and part of the normal learning curve or do I have some other fundamental problem (WSM leaking to much air, etc.)?

The first time I used the Stoker, I miss-installed the blower so that the damper on the blower never could close (I installed the unit upside-down. I could not bring down the temps in the wsm. After I noticed my lack of following instructions, I corrected the upside-down fan, and now the stoker does a much better job being able to bring down temps. Note: I keep all vents closed except the top vent I leave open about a quarter inch. (this I'm sure varies on outside temps).

I think I've mounted the fan properly. The hole in the WSM adapter goes towards the bottom. The mounting hardware goes through the bottom vent hole. It appears that the blower's little aluminum door should open when the blower is on and close when the blower is off.

Smoke 1 - You are correct, sounds like you probably had her dialed in. The blower cycling is not a bad thing, it's doing it's job. I run with my top vent about 1/8 open.

Smoke 2 - At your altitude, if you're running the 5 CFM you're going to have a tough time maintaining higher temps. Starting with more lit would have helped, but in my opinion your temps would have eventually dropped under 300.

So far I have used the Stoker with the top vent all the way open. Is it typical to close the top vent part way when using the Stoker?

I've noticed that I need to use fewer coals when doing a Minion start when using the stoker. Using fewer coals and assembling the WSM immediately after adding the hot coals to the pile seems to allow the stoker to keep the temperature good and steady.

I'm still having a hard time keeping the temperature down now that I'm using the stoker. Right now I've got 2 butts on for an overnight cook, with a target temp of 225. Despite the fact that the fan hasn't run in the last hour, the temp is holding at 240. The top vents are open 1/4 inch or less. Fan is mounted correctly.

I started with a full load of charcoal onto which I put about 15 lit coals. The fan ran until the pit temp was about 224. The temp kept rising to 250.

The only time it dropped was after an hour when I opened the lid to add another butt. Went down to 200, the fan ran off and on until it got to 225. But after half an hour, the temp started to creep up again to 250 where it's staying.

Any ideas? 250 isn't a disaster, but I prefer a slightly cooler cook.

Before stoker I used the water pan. Tonight I'm running dry with foiled pan.

Jeff

Sounds like you're getting some air in from somewhere. How tightly sealed is your door? Also, dumb question I know but you're sure all your other two bottom vents are closed, right?

All other bottom vents are closed.

If my door seal isn't tight enough, any suggestions on how to tighten it? It's certainly closed and latched.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
Jeff,

The door is made from pretty flimsy aluminum. I've found you can bend it into shape.

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Easy. I suspect that was my problem.

Jeff

Back