Trying to get all the parts, alternatives?

Peter vR

Hi

First, many thanks to Bryan for making all of this possible! I was about to start looking for someone to do the hardware side for me (software geek myself - not embedded systems though) when I stumbled upon this project.
Let's just say I'm not impressed by the Stoker beyond an embedded device, the TCP/IP stack crashes or goes into some sort of self protection mode if you poll it once in 30 secs for too long. The "socket protocol" is no longer activated either by the looks of it, the web interface is *horribly slow and the telnet interface is dodgy too.

I'm busy ordering all the parts but a few things are out of stock, I've been able to find everything except the DC power supply connector:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=163-7620E-Evirtualkey11180000virtualkey163-7620E-E

I'm wondering if either of these could be substituted?

http://www.newark.com/switchcraft/rapc722bk/connector-dc-power-socket-5a/dp/03M4245
http://www.newark.com/cliff-electronic-components/dc10a/connector-2-1mm-dc-power-jack-5a/dp/08WX2563

Time to dig out ye olde soldering station. Hope I still know how to use it ;)

Thanks!
Peter

ps. I'm about to thoroughly embarrass myself but just wondering, as someone who knows nothing about electronics, is it possible to simplify this project a fair bit if one did not need the LCD and control buttons, ie, if it's only interface was through the rPi (ie, web or otherwise). Is there still a need for the microcontroller? Can the probes and fan somehow be 'directly' controlled via the rPi's GPIO header?

I'm busy ordering all the parts but a few things are out of stock, I've been able to find everything except the DC power supply connector
Mouser Alternate 2.1mm barrel jack. These are fairly common components so I'm sure there are dozens of replacements but I always seem to read datasheets incorrectly and get a part that is 10x or 1/10th the expected size.

is it possible to simplify this project a fair bit if one did not need the LCD and control buttons, ie, if it's only interface was through the rPi (ie, web or otherwise). Is there still a need for the microcontroller? Can the probes and fan somehow be 'directly' controlled via the rPi's GPIO header?
You'd be able to remove a whopping 3 components from the board for the LCD, and 5 for the directional button. You'd also lose 2 of the LEDs if you removed the LCD support. The microcontroller is there because the Pi doesn't have an ADC so you can't read the analog probe values. SPI or I2C addressable ADC chips are only a buck or so cheaper than the microcontroller and you'd still need some sort of circuit to mount all that to with the appropriate resistors and such. You'd also lose the ability to run it standalone (for folks who don't want to spend the $25-$60 on a Pi), and more importantly all the HeaterMeter code would have to be ported to the Pi for no practical benefit.

You'd be able to remove a whopping 3 components from the board for the LCD, and 5 for the directional button. You'd also lose 2 of the LEDs if you removed the LCD support. The microcontroller is there because the Pi doesn't have an ADC so you can't read the analog probe values. SPI or I2C addressable ADC chips are only a buck or so cheaper than the microcontroller and you'd still need some sort of circuit to mount all that to with the appropriate resistors and such. You'd also lose the ability to run it standalone (for folks who don't want to spend the $25-$60 on a Pi), and more importantly all the HeaterMeter code would have to be ported to the Pi for no practical benefit.

Thanks! that makes sense. I was thinking in terms of lowering complexity for someone not so well versed on the electronics side of things, I can barely operate a multi meter, troubleshooting could be pretty rough :) Sounds like you've reached the best compromise between simplicity and flexibility.

What about the 4-way switch

Thanks! that makes sense. I was thinking in terms of lowering complexity for someone not so well versed on the electronics side of things, I can barely operate a multi meter, troubleshooting could be pretty rough :) Sounds like you've reached the best compromise between simplicity and flexibility.

You said you found replacement parts. What about for http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=SKQUAAA010virtualkey68800000virtualkey688-SKQUAA I have not been able to find a replacement for that, did you?

I originally shied away from listing alternatives because without any explanation, one would think the two parts are equivalent when they could be something like "If you use alternate A, you'll have to bend the pins to make it fit at all but it won't fit in the 3D case, or desolder the pins and replace them with 90 degree pins". Obviously that doesn't fit in the table and would make it more impossible to read and edit.

Alternate suppliers are ok though. I'm just, ya know, lazy.

The SKQUAAA010? They're the same switch, just a different supplier and you've gotta pay $7 in shipping for a $1 part.

Just gt an email from mouser that my two switches that were on back order have shipped. They were the ones on the original parts list.

Confirmed as well -- mine arrived yesterday, ahead of schedule.

Now all I need is a F/F ribbon cable to attach my 4 line display and I'll be ready to assemble!

Back