Competition site preference

Rich Paq

TVWBB Member
Currently Im gearing up for my first comp which will be in June. The application information is out now and on it I have a choice of picking either a grass or paved space. For those of you that competed before which is better and why. I can see where the pavement might get hot on a hot day, but not muddy on a rainy day. Im also alowed to park one vehicle on the site which is 40x20. Ima sking for pros and cons of each and your personal preference and why.

You've already got the big one, weather. Also consider your equipment. Do you have anything that needs pavement to roll on? If you're using a canopy you'll need to tie it to something substantial if on pavement and the wind is blowing as opposed to being able to stake it down on grass. I've cooked on both and can't really say that I have a preference.

I would take grass, for the tent tie down factor, but if you have sand bags to use, asphalt is ok as well. I have also seen people fill grocery bags with water and hang them as weights in a pinch when they couldn't tie down.

Sounds like you're going to the comp in Whitewater. We'll be there again this year. We chose pavement just for the potential mud factor. We were on grass at another comp a couple years ago and ended up ankle deep in mud. We also go to the Kenosha comp in August. That is all grass (and a great location BTW, right on Lake Michigan). If I knew it would be dry, I'd prefer grass. It's easier on my old knees, feet and back. And not so hot.

Yup Don, you guessed it. My first comp will be the Whitewater one. Any other advice you can give on that event would be appreciated. I do plan to go to the Kenosha one as well.

One thing about Whitewater is they're very generous with their space. They give a 40 x 20 spot. Most other comps we go to give you 20 x 20. Since last year was the first year, it's a little smaller than say Kenosha.

I will miss Whitewater this year .I am guessing if you dont have apps in soon you may miss out on paved spots. I usually opt for pavement as I have been in knee deep water in a grass spot a couple years ago. If I remember correct the grass spots at Whitewater had a good grass that wasnt to bad in the wet last year ?

I think the key points have been made. Heat from asphalt, mud but able to stake in for the ground. If it was grass and not dirt and level I would probably go grass. Sound like you know the exact area. You can always take empty Homer buckets and fill with water for an inexpensive weight to tie down to

Back