1Q110 - Amount of Charcoal

Bob F

Hello all,

I just got my iQ110 and plan on doing an overnight smoke with 4 butts tonight/tomorrow. I have read the instructions and watched some videos on how to use it. My biggest question is, how much lit charcoal do you really need? The instructions say an entire chimney......but that seems like it would be a lot and make the fire too hot, too quickly.

Also, do you guys use water/a heat sink?

I had an Auber that could not control my 22in WSM....I am hoping the iQ110 can.

Thanks,

Bob

I don't like using water with any ATC. I use a flower pot vase for a heat sink. Whether you start with too much or too little, that's what the job of the ATC is for.

I have an older model from BBQ Guru but should work about the same. I have bottom vents closed except the one where the ATC is connected. The top vent is 100% open.

When you start with a full chimney, those 4 butts will act as a heat sink and absorb a lot of the original heat. Once it stabilizes in 20-30 minutes that's when your IQ will take over. Too low fan turns on, too high no fan and with only the air from one vent, that should be enough to choke down the fire to lower the temps.

I might start with half a chimney and let the IQ bring the temperature up.

i have a 22 wsm and a 18, i start both with about half or a little more a full chimney does seem like alot. i have the iq on both pits too

You say the Auber couldn't control the 22. I have an 18 with no problems and I use a water pan all the time. What wouldn't the Auber do? I have heard that if you are doing high heat, over 300, you need the bigger fan. I keep all dampers shut except the one with fan, full ring of charcoal, and about 10 or so briquettes to start. I also use lump. 6-8 hours without adding charcoal should be no problem, but I do low and slow most always. Hardly ever over 275 at grate.

Last edited:
Using the IQ with my 22 I start with 18 lit coals and empty water pan with no heat sink. I close the vent that holds the dog bowl as much as the toggle bolt will allow. I set the IQ about 25 degrees under my target to allow for over shoot of temp, usually takes about an half hour or so to get to temp. Once temperature starts to fall I slowly increase to my target temp. and the IQ will hold rock solid all night long.

I have an ique 110 that I use on my kettle sometimes and a digi that I use on my 18 WSM. The fans are pretty much the equivalent and I'd say an entire chimney of lit coals is way too many on your 22 WSM. I use 10-12 on my WSM and turn the digi on when the temp gets around 25-30 degrees for target. I light my coals in the kettle when using the ique. Just start on one end with a Weber fire starter cube and let it come up pretty close to target temp before I start the ique.

I'd go with Rodney B's suggestion of 18 or so lit coals. Now, if my target temp was 275 or more, I'd start with more lit coals, but I'm assuming you're targeting 225-250.

Back