Hitch mount for WSM?

Brian Asack

TVWBB Member
Hi,
Long time reader, but first post ever...

I'm planning on designing an auto hitch mount to hold a WSM while traveling on the road (for my RV)

So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with making something similar and can offer any advice

I was thinking that the sections could be latched together,and a locking latch for the door. Plus, the aluminum legs would probably need to be upgraded to steel, and welded to a hitch bar.

The other thought that comes to mind is the possibility of it falling apart on the highway and causing havoc, or worse. Maybe the best advice is to talk me out of the whole idea. The thought of cruising down the road with a WSM mounted on the bumper appeals to me for some reason.

Anyway, I was looking for some feedback
Thanks
-B

Welcome to the site Brian,
Here's a link to some members that have the same thought. Scroll down part way to the hitch setup they did.

Build a mini WSM with a SJG, easy to transport, in two easy to carry units, will cook 2 butts , or 4 small chickens, 4 racks BB ribs, or 1 turkey!

Brian,a couple of summers ago,my WSM went with me on vacation to Maine. We had a BLAST! Since I was hauling my travel trailer,I made this crate for it to come along. The crate is upside down in the picture. The body,with the lid upside down inside the cavity,goes in the big part,the first small section holds the charcoal ring and grate,with the cooking grates going next. The last part is for chimney,chunks and newspaper. It all got stuck inside my pick up,but it still had a blast. Just make sure you put and old towel down inside the cavilty between the lid and the body to keep the lid from getting scratched.

Back