After 12 Years Of Dedicated Service...

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
I will be bidding a fond farewell to my Holland gas grill - as I stated on another, related post awhile back, I was impressed with its ability to cook without flareups - due to a baffle covering the one, cast iron burner. The drawbacks were really uneven cooking, and a temperature of Oº or 425º - nuttin' in between.

It's making way for my new Weber Summit S-420, scheduled for delivery this TUESDAY

Agreed - only thing I'm "concerned" about, if you can call it that, is the assembly manual - in order to get a jump on things, I downloaded it from the Weber site, along with the user guide and, wouldn't you know it, there isn't any stinking narrative, simply pictures of each step that one must perform in order to put the thing together....

Man, I HATE it when manufacturers pull that garbage! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Don't these people know that with some of us mechanically-challenged folk, a bit of verbal instruction is MOST helpful????
icon_mad.gif

I'm not sure about the 420, but the 670 came 95% assembled. There were just a few simple steps that don't really need much explanation. Enjoy your 420!

Man, Rooster - that's one fine cooking machine you've got coming!

If I were you, I'd be positively itchin' to fire her up.

I'm pretty confident that you'll be able to handle the assembly. When I did a stint working at Home Depot - I bolted together several different Weber gassers:

The parts are usually labeled (look for about 1-inch stickers with letters on 'em - this will help you be sure that the part you currently have in yer paws matches the desired part on the diagram)

As for any bolts - I would sort 'em out on something where they will not roll around and become lost (an old white kitchen towel). Sort by length - this way, you will not use-up all of the long ones in places where you should use the short ones.

Most Weber gassers ship broken-down into several large "assemblies" - Usually the lid and housing are pre-assembled, you just need to bolt together the cart, bolt the lower housing assembly into place, secure the lid to the housing, and then insert the flavorizer bars and grates. (The exploded parts drawings can look intimidating - but that's just for reference, in case you need to order a replacement part in the future.)

Good luck and Happy Grilling bud!

Yup, she arrived yesterday afternoon - after getting her on the back porch, and removing the Holland gasser, I took out all the enclosed parts, and called it a day...

Getting ready to start what I hope will prove to be an uneventful assembly process!

Okay, so it turns out that my initial whining about assembly difficulties was a bit premature; the hardest part was peeling off that confounded blue protective film they feel necessary to coat the various surfaces with, although I DID have a problem getting the side-burner gas line - with its quick-connect fitting - to seat properly onto the nozzle. Perhaps it was the "newness" of the connector, but it took me - and the efforts of a neighbor - about twenty minutes to finally hear that "click" indicating a proper coupling.

I am tickled with the final result, however, and am especially impressed with those massive SS food grates! After firing her up, all the burners seem to be working correctly, with nice blue flames running throughout.

That said, I note that the user guide advises that the grill "...is designed to operate at 4.5 inches of water column pressure...". Presumably, that figure deals with promoting maximum burner efficiency.

Would it be advisable, therefore, to have a gas contractor check to see what the column pressure is in order to achieve maximum efficient output - making gas meter regulator adjustments as necessary - or may I simply go by a visual inspection of the burners? They certainly LOOK like they're doing what they're supposed to do.

I don't want to incur unnecessary costs, but then again, I'm not going to shell out the money I did for the grill only to quibble about ponying up a few more dollars to ensure it's working properly.

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

RE: "Water Column" refers to Gas Pressure

I do not believe that you told us if she's an LP (tank) or Natural Gas (line-hookup) unit.

If it's LP, then you should be about 99.9% confident that Weber took care of that for you, and would only need to get it checked if things seem to run cooler than they should.

If it's Natural Gas - then I would start by taking a look at your gas line. (Do y'all have a basement? Can you see your Gas Line pipes?

If the pipe is at least 3/4-inch [about 1-inch or more Outside Diameter of the pipes], and if the pipe branch serving your Grill is relatively close to where the Gas Main comes into your house , then you should be good-to-go. (If you're not sure where your Gas Main enters your house - it usually comes in from the Gas Meter.)

If you see any "wimpy" smaller pipes, or long pipe runs - then you might want to get it checked out.

Also, if the (Nat.) grill came with quick-connect fittings for the gas line, be sure that you use those (existing ones might have a smaller inside diameter that could restrict flow).

You don't want to be running your "Caddilac" grill on a "Yugo" fuel-line.

Hope this helps

Ron, it's an NG - and the gas pipe from the gas meter is 3/4-inch, but steps down to 1/2-inch immediate after coming out of the house. I have a quick-connect attached between the shut-off valve and the provided 1/2-inch ten-foot grill hose...

Based on that, may I assume it's okay to proceed without the need for "professional intervention"?

I'm no gas-company expert, but based on what you stated above - I would expect that you're in the clear.

Another visual check that you could do would be to remove all of the flavorizer bars and turn-on one burner at a time, wide-open:

If the size of the flame on each burner does not change, as burners are added, I would take this as confirmation that you're all set. (You might see a little "jump" when additional burners are first turned-on, but any that are running should quickly return to full-flame.)

If the flame-size / intensity drops significantly when you add the 3rd & 4th burner - then I'd have a pro "take a peek".

Did your old grill use the same quick-connect fitting, or did you change them out to the ones that came with your Weber? If you did not change them, eye-ball the inside diameter - if the new ones have a bigger hole, change 'em. If not - leave well-enough alone.

Back