How often do you clean your flavorizers?

James O'Brien

TVWBB Fan
How often does everyone clean the flavorizer bars in there gas grill? I'm one month into my newly restored 1998 red genesis and couldn't be happier with its performance. I want to maximize my years. I have the awesome stainless bars from RCPlaner on eBay, they rock!

I'd like to get some opinions on what others are doing. How often do you clean? Just soap and water or do you get crazy and scrape back to shiny metal? In years past I've done it annually which seems to be to long (not weber grills). I grill 3-5 days a week year round so it's heavy use. I season a lot if it's not steak and sometimes it's a juicy marinade.

I have stainless flav bars on my 5 year old Summit Platinum and the only cleaning I have done is high temp burn off every few months and then just clean drip pan. JMHO

Hi James,

I have a one year old Genesis S-330. I've taken it apart and cleaned it once so far, just using a wire brush, works great.

Good luck,

Bob

I clean my ss flavor bars purchase for David S. once a month or two depends on how much i grill on it.

Recently i have been using my charcoal performer so it hasn't been clean for several months now.

Soap and ss pads.

Vincent.

Thanks for the info so far. Good to know I'm not the only annual cleaner.
icon_biggrin.gif
I think I'll clean them in another week to see how it goes. I just want to make sure they are always performing at a high level like they are now.

I don't have the SS flavorizers(yet
icon_wink.gif
),but I give 'em a scraping with a putty knife about twice a year. I also do the sides and bottom at the same time.

I'm with the Austrian -

I normally let it burn-off
(Unless the lower tray gets too much stuff that it starts forming flames in the lower section - then I give it a quick scrape before the burn-off.)

IMHO - The flavorizer bars work better with a little crud on them.

Back