Mac setup help with Stoker

Hi all,

Please forgive a return to a topic that has been discussed before, but after reading a lot of posts, I'm still having problems setting up a Stoker with my Mac OSX system. Here is my situation (any help would be greatly appreciated!)

I have Verizon Fios coming into the house. That is wired into a Apple Time Capsule, which serves as my main wireless hub. When I plug the Stoker into the Time Capsule everything works great (I can see the IP and webpage).

But, as the Time Capsule is in my office upstairs (and grilling there seems unwise), I'd like to plug the Stoker into an Airport Express. I've set it up to "Join and Existing Network," but under this setting it doesn't serve the Stoker an IP address (all 000s). If I set the Express up to join a WDS network, I get an error about needed another device (and I can't seem to find a choice to make the Time Capsule to join a WDS network).

Any ideas?

Many, many, many thanks!

Pat

Hi,
I don't own a Stoker, yet, but your issue is more a Airport Express issue. You want to set up the AE as a WDS relay station. This way the AE will act a wireless bridge to the Stoker.

Configuring a WDS relay base station

1. Ensure all Wi-Fi base stations are powered on and allow them time to appear in the AirPort Menu Extra.
2. From the AirPort Menu Extra, select a 802.11 g Wi-Fi base station to configure as a WDS relay.
3. In AirPort Utility, select the WDS relay Wi-Fi base station in the Base Station Chooser, and click Manual Setup.
4. Select the AirPort icon from the Toolbar, and click on the Wireless tab
5. From Wireless Mode, select Participate in a WDS network.
6. Click on the WDS tab.
7. From WDS Mode select, WDS relay.
8. Enable Allow wireless clients (see the first note below).
9. If not already supplied, enter the AirPort ID of the WDS main.
10. Click the Add (+) button and enter the AirPort ID or the Wireless MAC address for individual WDS remote base stations that are within range, but that are not connected directly to WDS main (see the second note below), then click OK.
11. Click Update.

Hope that helps.

Hi Ted,

I think you're right that it's a settings issue, but I must be missing something. When I select the Airport Express there are all the choices for setting WDS, but on the Time Capsule itself (which is what is plugged into the cable modem) that option doesn't come up. Under "wireless" the only options are "create a wireless network" or "extend a wireless network." Is there something I need to do on the Time Capsule to tell it to expect a WDS client?

Sorry, to be so dense!

Patrick,
ok, I set something up similar for friend awhile ago. Don't hold me to this but... try this.
Using the Airport Utility...
On your Time Capsule, hold down <option> while clicking on the Wireless Mode pop-up menu. The "Participate in a WDS network" option will appear. Select it and the WDS tab will appear. Make your Time Capsule the WDS Main, "Allow wireless clients", you might have to tell it about the AirPort ID (wireless MAC address) of your AirPort Express, but you might not.

Ted

Back