First go at Paella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon K

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I've had my first go at cooking paella on my 22 inch kettle. All in all it wasn't bad at all, but instead of having a nice layer of crust at the bottom, mine was a little more burnt in spots. I had what I thought was the right amount of briquets lining the bottom but it was obviously too hot. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Think we need pic's of the said paella to properly assess
icon_wink.gif

Maybe try having a couple heat zones and you can move the pan accordingly to help avoid the burt spots.

You'll have to take my word for it, but it was beautiful (if i do say so myself). This one was all seafood (clams,mussels, shrimp and cod).
The paella pan takes up the entire surface of the 22 inch grill and everything I've read says you should have as even a heat source as you can. The entire cook takes about 30 minutes and it needs to be hot enough to keep the liquid simmering to cook the rice.

Kinda figured that would be your answer re: the pan and size.
Don't have much more to offer other then let the coals burn down a little more before putting the pan on and a thinner layer of coals.

Did it look something like this?

5683671993_3f53b692b4_d.jpg

I was in Dominican republic a few weeks ago and they made this one on the beach. They spent as much time getting the coals even as they did making this bad boy...

Paella pans are pretty thin on the bottom, to allow for that nice crucnhy crust to form, so you have to be careful. you could try cooking on a pizza pan between grate and pan, but that might affect the crust. maybe worth a shot anyways.

This looks great. My family is from the Dominican Republic. I showed my mother in law this picture. She is now looking for a paella dish. I can't wait, she used own a restaurant in DR and it was the best. She adds craw fish, mussels, squid, scallops, shrimp, clams and a lobster in the middle. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back