ET-73 vs. WSM Thermometer Accuracy

Greg Burgess

Anyone have any experience with comparing the accuracy of the Maverick ET-73 smoker probe temperature vs the Weber thermometer in the top of the WSM? I tried the ET-73 for the first time last weekend and found that the ET-73 measured about 50 degrees hotter at the top grate vs the Weber thermometer in the lid.

Any thoughts on which might be right?

My ET-73 at the top grate is off by about 30 degrees. It is usually higher then the thermometer on the lid. I have been going off the lid lately and it has served me well. As long as it stays steady the food turns out great.

I used my ET-73 for the first time 2 days ago: the temperature was 30° higher then the lid thermometer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom D.:
I used my ET-73 for the first time 2 days ago: the temperature was 30° higher then the lid thermometer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly how mine is. I tested it in boiling water and it is always 211-212 degrees.

Mine was also about 30 degrees higher than the lid. I assumed the best approach was to go with the thermometer b/c it's at the meat so that seems more important than the temp at the lid. right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim L.:
Mine was also about 30 degrees higher than the lid. I assumed the best approach was to go with the thermometer b/c it's at the meat so that seems more important than the temp at the lid. right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you are probably right. I now just go off the Weber therm and just try to keep it in a certain range. The food has been turning out amazing so far. I use the food temp probe in the meat and go off the Weber Thermometer for the internal temp.

I also have the same difference in temp (approximately) betweeen lid thermo and ANY thermometer on the upper grate. There is also a difference between the two grates. I've read many other posts on TVWBB and this seems to be the norm.

There's a lot that affects the temp. #1 heat rises, #2 there's a lot of convection, #3 the lid is just a thin piece of metal that separates hot from much cooler temps -- that thermometer is influenced by the outside.

So a difference is expected (and you can verify your thermometers with boiling water). Consistency is the key for both your cooking (keeping the temps within a relatively small range) and your thermometer (it reports the same time after time). Rich

Back