Can Heat Create Problems with Stoker or Wireless?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
So I just started a 2 beer can chicken cook and in 50 minutes I've lost connection to my stoker 5 times. It's currently 100 outside, could this be creating issues for me? My stoker and wireless unit are in the shade but it's still hotter than hell out there . . .

You probably need to drink a beer before attempting a beer can chicken. I've had trouble with my server all day, but I don't know enough about this computer stuff to even attempt to tell you what is going on with yours, but I would recommend at least two beers before taking on this task.

I'm now at 12 connection losses. I rarely lose connection like this. I'm always rock solid.

I think I'll take you up on your recommendation Ed.

OK, my connection loss had now happened at least 20 times, here's the latest status error "Stoker not responding(or no probes): 6/27/2008." Just lost connection again, S&*%!!!!!!

I've gone out and checked the Stoker and it's fine, maintaining my temp right where I want it etc. She's doing just fine, must be an issue with the wireless due to the heat.

Originally posted by LarryR:
So I just started a 2 beer can chicken cook and in 50 minutes I've lost connection to my stoker 5 times. It's currently 100 outside, could this be creating issues for me? My stoker and wireless unit are in the shade but it's still hotter than hell out there . . .
GRAPH

GRAPH

Originally posted by LarryR:

my wireless thermometer, (just plain old therms. not attatched to a temp. control unit just black out in the sun but you said your in the shade so beats me + im no help. what was causing me the biggest problem of all was using temp control units.
icon_smile.gif
darn it anyway... hope you get it fingered out larry. -Dan

I was getting so many lost connections that I ran a Cat-5 ethernet cable to my barbecue area. Hard wired seems to work MUCH better.

Bill

I am with Bill. Managing the stoker is a "mission critical" application
icon_smile.gif
. So I string a long Ethernet cable when I need it. Will have to run a permanent feed one of these days....

I currently have the same issue with the stoker losing connection. Right now I have it hard wired just for testing on my test. I need for it to be wireless. The running thing about it though, The web interface to the stoker unit is fine and responsize when the stokerlog program bombs. It's a shame that it's not as stable over a wireless connection. That's the only thing that I can gather. My gut feeling is telling that it will bomb on a hard connection as well. We will see. I will report back.

I've had many smokes go up to 20 hours without my wireless bridge loosing connection. That's what was so frustrating and the only thing different about this cook was the extreme heat. I'm going to run my Stoker tomorrow in the house for several hours and see if the wireless connection drops in the air conditioned house. If not then I think it's the heat giving me issues. I'll report my findings.

Larry, I know for a fact the direct, hot, sunlight causes hell on a wireless connection. That is why I have a long cable to my stoker going to wireless bridge so that I can put the WB inside and leave the stoker outside. Work great during the day. I talked to John @ Rocks and he told me that heat does not affect the stoker at all because there are no moving parts inside. Just firmware...

Well I ran her inside the other day and not one connection problem. Put my bridge in the shade on today's cook and I'm 6 hours into her and not one connection loss, must be the issue.

Back