Enhanced Turkey Injection

B. Kaylor

TVWBB Fan
I used this on 2 enhanced birds that I smoked with Pecan & Apple wood for a church diner. I used Larry Wolfe's pulled turkey method, served it fron an electric roaster, and they were great.

1 Cup Homemade chicken or turkey broth, unsalted chicken broth, apple cider, or apple juice. (I used apple cider)
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 Cup Honey
1 Tbsp. Poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder, onion powder, and white pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp. Kosher or Sea salt (optional..to taste)
2 Tbsp. Lime or Lemmon Juice or 1/2 Cup Lemmoneade or limeade (I used limeade)

Heat in a medium sauce pan just until salt melts, then cool to room temp. You can make a day or 2 ahead and fridge until needed. Just microwave to warm a bit.
This was just enough to inject 2-15 pounders. I wraped in HDAF when the breast hit 160*, and pulled at 180* You can let rest in a cooler for 1-2 hours, but because of time, I just loosened the foil, still keeping them "tented" for about 45 minutes, then pulled. I captured all of the juice from inside the foil, about 5 1/2 cups, placed in a bowl in the fridge overnight and defatted. The turkey was quickly cooled, then chilled overnight. In the morning, I put the turkey and the defatted juice in the roaster, and it was magic! Very tasty, and it fed a lot.

I don't remember the % of solution, but they came from Krogers and were just frozen birds. I like brining, but this is quicker and cheaper. I could tell a little difference between this and a brined turkey, but everyone else really liked this and I'll be doing this again real soon. I really liked the flavor of the Pecan wood with a touch of Apple, but any smoke wood that you like would be fine.

That looks like a great injection for poultry. Ive read that if you pull the skin up and butter baste the flesh, then let the skin back down but prop it slightly (with toothpicks or whatever you can imagine, the idea is to let some heat flow around the skin, you can develop a "rendered" skin thats crisp.....which seems to be a very illusive trait on turkeys. Im going to try a combination of this method and your recipe for thanksgiving and see how it goes. A decent butter/seasoning salt rub would be a good external flavor that would compliment the sweet savory internal innjection.

Jarrod, the ones that I made in the above post, were pulled, and I didn't want the skin, so I didn't care about it. But I am going to do at least 1 like this for/around Thanksgiving, and I will make it with crunchy skin. I really liked the flavor of the injected birds and it is really easy. I don't have a lot of "extra" time, so injecting works well for me. Be sure to capture the juice, and mix it with the "gold" from the empty foiled water pan.

Tonight, I made turkey stock from those 2 carcuss' and will defat and freeze tomorrow. Very tasty! I hope that it turns out well for you!

If it were me i would omit all salt from your injection. Enhanced birds are loaded with salt to begin with. You may end up with a overly salted bird.

Craig, like you said, I debated whether to use any salt at all, but they were at about 8% solution, and I used about 1/3 tsp. of sea salt. This was enough to inject both birds, and when pulled and served from a roaster, they really were not too salty.

When I do 1 around T-day, I may sub oil for the butter, or maybe try some of each. Some cajun rub would would also be a nice addition.

Back