Rib end pork roast

Steve McKibben

TVWBB Super Fan
I was looking for some pork for a weeknight (no time for low and slow) cook and came across a rib end pork roast in the meat section of the supermarket. This still has all of the bones intact and weighs three and a half pounds. Last night I put it in a molasses/herb brine and will cook it for dinner tonight.

My first thought was to cook it the way I've been doing pork loin roasts lately, that is cook indirect over moderate heat until about 140, then rest it under a foil tent, crank up the heat, and slice into chops that get seared/glazed to finish. If I slice it between the bones the chops will be quite a bit thinner that what I usually cook.

Any of you have any experience with similar pieces of meat and/or thoughts on how you'd approach the cook?

Hi Steve,

The rib end roast is a nice cut for the bbq.I would use caution searing the cooked chops if they are on the thin side.

I did a bone in pork loin a while ago that I posted here.

I was really happy with the results. Let us know what you end up doing and how you like it.

Hi Mark,

I ended up cooking it indirect until it hit about 140, then I rested in under a foil tent for 20 minutes while I finished preparing the rest of the meal (grilled asparagus, oven roasted potatoes, and bread with herbed olive oil).

I sliced between the bones and the resulting chops weren't as thin as I thought they'd be. I could have seared and glazed them, but everyone was ready to eat, and they were very good just like that.

Thanks!

Back