Bigger Badder Beef Rub

J Graz

TVWBB Super Fan
Here is a awesome rub for long beef cooks like brisket/chuck rolls. The original name for the rub was Big Bad Beef Rub, I found it somewhere on the net, and used it a few times. Then I thought it could use some changes. So with much help from Kevin Kruger, and his blessing for the post, here is the modified recipe.

3 T coarsely ground black pepper
1 T Sugar in the Raw
1 T granulated onion*
1 T granulated garlic*
1 T Guajillo powder
2 t chili powder*
2 t coriander
2 t thyme
1 t cayenne powder
1 t cumin
1 t green peppercorn ground
.5 t marjoram

*The chili powder I use is not store bought. I'm sure you could use it but I usually make my own. I personally use Alton Browns version and like it very much.
*I will usually make more then one batch of this at a time. When I do I will use the granulated onion & garlic for one and Dried Chopped/Minced onion & garlic for the second batch. Just a preference ever since Larry Wolfe made the recommendation.

I have used this rub many times and have yet to find one I like more. The taste really hold up throughout the entire cook.
Thanks for looking
Graz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Graz:
*I will usually make more then one batch of this at a time. When I do I will use the granulated onion & garlic for one and Dried Chopped/Minced onion & garlic for the second batch. Just a preference ever since Larry Wolfe made the recommendation.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean that, for example, if you were doubling the recipe that you would use 1 T granulated and 1 T dried minced garlic and do the same with the onion? I have both in the spice cabinet and was going to mix up some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
Do you mean that, for example, if you were doubling the recipe that you would use 1 T granulated and 1 T dried minced garlic and do the same with the onion? I have both in the spice cabinet and was going to mix up some. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got it. I mostly do it this way. I have very rarely made only one batch. Two batches is enouge for about a 20lb roll split in two.

I am going to try this rub on 20# of brisket this next week. I am catering a party and I have all ingredients on hand.

Should I double the rub recipe for the amount of brisket I am doing?

Jane,
If it were me I would make a double batch, but let me qualify that by saying I am quite messy when putting on the rub and tend to get equal amountes on and off the meat, and I also apply rub quite heavily. I would say make a single batch first and see how much you have, then decide on the second. I hope you enjoy it.
Graz

Thanks. I'll do a double. I rub heavily -- after all, I got my training from KK. Always salt the meat first, and don't like paprika in my rubs.

There is so much confusion with the term 'chile powder.' If I want a blend, I would like it to be labeled as such. Otherwise, I use the straight, unmodified chile powder, i.e. guajillo, ancho, habanero, or chipolte. I have always preferred to add my own cumin, oregano, etc. to my dishes and don't want it in my chile powder. It's the same with salt in the rub. I never add it. Just a purist I guess, and want to taste the specific chile I decide to use.

This board is a treasure. After seeing Jim Lampe's recent post with those big 'ol beef ribs, I started thinking about smokin' some. I saw a bunch at the local Vons last weekend, but didn't know what to do with them, so passed. Today I do a search (so I'll be ready next time) and I find this post for a rub that sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Thanks Graz (and by implication, Mr. Kruger).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cutchen:
OK... so at first glance, I thought it said "Bigger Bladder Beef Rub" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my... I read it exacly like that also. I was figuring it was going to have a lot of salt and promote consumer fluid retention, or it involved a part of the cow I haven't yet tried and I'm not about to change now.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ron

Back