WAGNER Cast Iron

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
I didn't know they were still in business. My Wagner's are probably 60 years old, handed down from my hubbie's gramma. Here you go ~
Wagner

I have Lodge, but nothing compares to my Wagners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
I didn't know they were still in business. My Wagner's are probably 60 years old, handed down from my hubbie's gramma. Here you go ~
Wagner

I have Lodge, but nothing compares to my Wagners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Griswold does.
icon_biggrin.gif
Which is the reason Wagnerware acquired Griswold in 1957 .. They were fierce competitors. Both are great and I love my Griswolds.
icon_cool.gif

Timeline

Hey Bill:

Yes, I noticed another thread in which someone mentioned Griswolds. I have never heard of that brand either. I can't really compare a new Wagner to the Lodge, because mine are so old, but the Lodge (I have Logic) has a rough finish which I don't prefer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
Hey Bill:

Yes, I noticed another thread in which someone mentioned Griswolds. I have never heard of that brand either. I can't really compare a new Wagner to the Lodge, because mine are so old, but the Lodge (I have Logic) has a rough finish which I don't prefer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Back a few years, I started looking for CI pans and looked at Lodge (Logic) because they were easily obtainable and highly recommended but then Bryan S. turned me on to Griswold. Did some research and decided that was the brand for me.
icon_smile.gif
I now have 5 pieces, 4 of which are used regularly. BTW, the rough surface on Lodge was the reason I started looking elsewhere .. I didn't care for it either. Wagner's a good brand too and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
icon_cool.gif

I have a hand me down Wagner from my wife's Mom. Loved it so much that I bought additional Wager CI on eBay. Significant shipping costs, but overall costs were good (as long as you stay away from ones with actual collectible value).

Jane,

I have an old Griswold made in Erie, PA that is also probably 80 years old. My Mom gave it to me and it was her Mom's before that. I think Wagner eventually bought the Griswold Company. Anyway, I would not trade mine for any other CI today.

Ray

Can anyone vouch for the new stuff? It is common to see comments on the old Wagners and Griswolds but I can't ever remember reading about a new one. Same quality?

bd

I have a couple of Lodge Logic pieces and the only thing I like is the 15" size of my skillet, not the texture of the pan. It will never be non-stick because it's too grainy.

I don't know much about Lodge or Wagner because I started collecting Griswold about 18 years ago. I now have about 3 dozen pieces and I use all of them. I've been able to get them for a good price at estate sales and at antique auctions, if there isn't another collector bidding. If I'm bidding against a dealer it's usually easier to get a price below the retail price.

The quality of the Griswold was much superior to anything else I've found. When properly seasoned and cared for it's as good as teflon for not sticking.

Wagner isn't in business. Those folks own the product rights, and sold off what ever stock was left. There new stuff is made in China. I'd go with Lodge or buy vintage Wagner or Griswold. You can get non collector pieces pretty cheap. Old stuff cleans up very nice and is of higher quality than you get out of China.

Back