Rust/Oxidation on my new Q200 grate! Is this normal?

Mark Parber

I recently purchased a new Q200 and quickly put it to use. So after finishing my first usage, I cleaned off the grill and closed things up for the night. Weber says that the grate is porcelain enameled cast iron so it does not need to be seasoned or oiled like a normal cast iron grate/pan/etc, so I took their advice and did not oil the grate before storing.

2 days later, I get the grill out to make some chicken for dinner. I open the lid and find a fair amount of rust-colored oxidation in large areas of the grate (not the entire grate though, and mostly in the low channels of the grate). The oxidation I see is basically exactly what I would see on a new cast iron pan in my kitchen if I failed to oil it after use (I would've taken pictures to share, but light was fading so I just scrubbed it off and got to cooking). I was highly perplexed by this since Weber says the enamel on this grate is supposed to deter rust, but I am skeptical since I am seeing the start of rust after a single use.

So, my question is this: is the rust/oxidation normal? Do I actually need to oil the grate after every use to keep rust and oxidation away or did I get a poorly enameled grate?

Thanks in advance for any input.

PS: I didn't notice this on any of the display models, or on any of the grills my friends have, but the gas level screen printing on the gas level knob that came with my grill is quite faded. I can live with this if this is normal and simply the luck of the draw whether I get a well-printed knob or not, so I'm curious to hear if the printing on your gas knobs are sharp and bold (as it is on all other grills I've seen so far) or faded and blotchy (like mine).

Update: Some images of knob for reference.

weberq200knobmid.jpg

weberq200knoboff.jpg
weberq200knobstart.jpg

Mark
After one or two uses you should not expect to see any oxidization. Call Weber CS and advise them. Take several photos and send them to them by email. They should replace the grill under warranty. Report the discolouration of the knob also. Have the SNo of the grill and receipt details handy when you call them.
You do need to season and keep the grill oiled to maintain it for longevity just as you would for any Cast Iron grate.

Let us know how you get on with the problem.

Cheers

Unless Weber has changed the grates on the Q series, the grate isn't porcelain coated cast iron but rather uncoated cast iron, which will rust with normal condensation and, as Phil says, needs to be seasoned.

I wipe my grate down with a paper towel with vegetable oil on it after I scrub it post cook. I've only washed the grate once since I got the Q and that was a soapy water wash, towel dried and re-rubbed with oil. Pretty much the same as I do with my cast iron skillets and griddles.

But as Phil says, shoot some photos and send them to Weber.

Pat

Thanks for the responses guys.

@Pat: They may have changed the grate since you got your Q. On the specs tab of Q200 product page (http://weber.com/grills/?glid=6&mid=35) one of the bullet items is "Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grate"

I think I'll try exchanging the grill where I bought it at since I only bought it just over a week ago. I'm guessing the cost of shipping the grate/knob to Weber for replacement would be killer (even if under warranty).

Thanks again. I'll update this post if anything changes.

Mark - you are so right! I got my Q220 last fall and it was a prior year's model that I got off of Ebay from the Ace Hardware Closeout site. (But it's RED!).

I can see the practicality of going from an uncoated cast iron to porcelain-coated cast iron grate. If you don't treat the uncoated cast iron correctly it most definitely will rust. That your porcelain-coated grates (black and shiny, not gray, right?) are showing signs of rust so early in the product's life definitely is not right.

Give the Weber folks a call - I'll bet they'll make it right.

Pat

The grate does have a sheen to it, but it's definitely not as glossy as some other porcelain coated grates I've seen on other grills. Here are some pics I took before the first use:

weberq200gratew.jpg

weberq200gratecu.jpg

well this confuses the heck out of me as weber alwats advertised the grate as being coated. mine never seemed to be and for sure it never looked nice like those pics. was kinda rough lookin. not to much problems with rust though cuz i keep the grate oily, well unclean
icon_smile.gif

I'm like George - mine looked like that - once. I would say that the grate in the picture is a pre-seasoned cast-iron, but it most definitely does NOT look like the porcelain coated cast iron grate on my Genesis Silver B! I'm thinking that to keep the grate in the picture rust free, a coating of oil or cooking spray after it cools down will be very helpful.

Mark, do you know if your Q is the 2008 model or the 2009 model, as I am curious if Weber has changed the grate on the current year's model.

I think I wander by my local hardware store/full like Weber dealer tomorrow and drool over the 26.75 inch Gold kettle and check out the grates on their Q's - they usually have one or two around.

I'll post pics if the grates on theirs is any different.

Pat

My guess is that it is the current model, but I'm not sure as I have not been able to find any different model numbers for the different years.

I do know that my model # is 396002, which appears to have been available at least since early 2008 (so it could be a 2008 model). However, the label on the box says it was printed on 06/21/2009 (meaning it could be a 2009 model, or just old 2008 stock).

BTW, it appears that Weber has been advertising the grate as porcelain-enameled at least since 2003 (when the Q200 was simply the "Q") as evidenced by this Weber Q Datasheet (PDF), so I am just as confused as everyone else because it definitely doesn't appear to be the same type of porcelain coating as other grills.

Mark
The Weber porcelain coating has never been that hiugh gloss style coating that is seen on many of the el-cheapo grills. the weber porcelain coating is more about sealing the surface and sub surface of the cast iron. Cast iron is porous and braths, when it cools down it draws in moisture from the surrounding area ito the voids between the grain of the metal and left for a period of time it starts a galvanic reation and creates an inter granular corrosion which is first presented as spots of rust and then develops into flakes of rust. I always reccommend that you season the grill before first use but I am not sure if the documentation that comes with the BBQ states to do that or not.

Cheers

Thanks for the info Phil.

I too would have seasoned my grate from the start (and perhaps would have avoided the oxidation I saw) like any other cast iron item (pan, etc.), except that Weber themselves say that no seasoning is required. Since I saw the oxidation, I've kept the grate well oiled and have not seen the oxidation return as a result.

One other question about grate care/maintenance for those with experience. I use a wire brush for cleaning the grate which has a scraper on top. With any standard cast iron item (pan, etc.), I would have no qualms about going to town with a scraper (or chisel, screwdriver, etc.) go dislodge the harder to remove debris. However, I have been apprehensive to do so on this grate because of it's porcelain-enameled nature (even though it looks and feels like straight cast iron). Will it harm the grate to use the scraper? If so, what can I use instead to get the tough stuff off the grate? Finally, is a stainless steel wire brush okay to use on the grate? How about steel wool?

This newbie thanks you again
icon_smile.gif

I have never needed to use a scraper, I just use the standard triangular Weber brass brush, If you heat for 15 minutes and then brush all but the most difficult will come off. For real bad stuff, I soak in warm soapy water for 20 minutes and then brush. After the soaking both cleaning methods I heat it up again for 10 minutes and re-season

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
I'm like George - mine looked like that - once. I would say that the grate in the picture is a pre-seasoned cast-iron, but it most definitely does NOT look like the porcelain coated cast iron grate on my Genesis Silver B! I'm thinking that to keep the grate in the picture rust free, a coating of oil or cooking spray after it cools down will be very helpful.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pat - If you wipe or spray with oil while it is hot it will draw the oil into the porous grain structure as it cools and provide better protection. This is the same principle as seasoning it.

Cheers

We cook a lot of meats marinated in marinades that contain sugar so when everything is cooked, you've got some pretty tough stuff to get off. Even after heating it for 10 min, the wire brush alone won't take it all off. I'll try heating for 15 min to see if that helps, and I'll soak it if not.

Thanks again.

Hi Mark
I know what you mean with the Marinades. I use Honey and Soy for chicken wings so I use my trivet and cook indirect so I don't get the bitter taste.
A good method to clean is to cover most of the grill with a doubled sheet of foil and hold it down with a tray placed upside down, turn the Q onto high for 10 minutes and it (the gunk) should turn to white powder.
You then brush it and spray/wipe it with oil (spray is by far the best) while it is still hot.

Cheers

I too have experienced the rusting Q200 grate. Weber quickly agreed to replace it even though it had passed the warranty period.

I generally left my cooking residue on the grate between cooks, using the preheat of the next cook as the opportunity to burn off and then clean with Weber brush prior to applying food. Despite this mine has rusted to a degree of concern for me.

Back