troubleshooting rPI boot before attaching HM4

Dave Casazza

TVWBB Fan
Hi All,

I'm trying to get rPI working with the latest H4 build, "openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4_224". This isn't attached to the HM4 board yet, I'm just verifying operation before I put it all together.

Attaching a console to the card, I get the following messages:

"EXT4-fs (mmcblkOp4): Warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended"
"EXT4-fs (mmcblkOp4): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (Null)"

The boot process hangs here until I attach a keyboard, and press enter. Then I boot into the command line, with the

root@OpenWrt:/#

Troubleshooting steps completed:

1) Verified that I have one of the approved SD cards
2) Tried booting with a generic rPI image, and it succeeds.
3) This hang occurs after the first write of the SD card with the image, so I assume I don't have a corrupted file system (yet) - but perhaps this is a bad assumption.

Any thoughts about what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Dave

That sounds like whats supposed to happen. Openwrt does not have a gui so there will be no user interface other than a terminal. Plug it into the network and see if you get a link light on the rpi. If you do change one of your computers to be on the same network (192.168.200.x) and see if you can pull up the rpis website at 192.168.2.1 if you can then everything is working

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was able to get the network setup so I can connect into it via web and telnet - however, I can't verify that avrdude is being called automatically during the rPI boot up.

When I run avrupdate manually in /usr/sbin, I get the following output:

"Stopping Linkmeter OK

LinkMeter platform is BCM2708
AVR fuses ffde05 OK

Starting Linkmeter OK"

and I noted that the HM4 display blinks out for a few seconds (I assume that the AVR code is being uploaded).

However, when I boot the rPI ("reboot"), I don't see that blink out process, so the AVR reflash process is not being executed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

The avr reflash only happens automatically the very first time you boot the rpi. You don't really want it to run everytime you boot the rpi otherwise any settings stored in the avr would be lost everytime you booted.

So far everything your seeing sounds exactly like what I see when I boot, so I don't think you have an issue

Yeah there's nothing wrong with your setup at all. The boot process isn't hung, it is just waiting for the enter key to be pressed if you want a console.

Also as Jason pointed out, avrupdate (with no parameters) only will flash a chip it thinks is blank. That is, one with factory default fuses. If you want to force overwrite, you can either use the web interface or `avrupdate /lib/firmware/hm.hex`.

The unchecked filesystem message is also normal. The config partition isn't unmounted if you just unplug the power cord but it isn't an issue because it is only written to at boot, and overwritten every boot so there shouldn't be any inconsistencies.

Back