Benefits of stainless steel hardware?

Richard Hinton

TVWBB Fan
Most of my mini WSM build uses stainless nuts and bolts, but my later addition – U-bolts as lid hangers – aren't because I couldn't find them in stainless at the time.
Now I have found stainless U-bolts.
Is there any advantage to replacing what I have with the stainless ones?
Thanks.

My opinion on this is... it depends on how you care for and look after your Mini. I too bought stainless nuts and bolts, and then zinc plated U-bolts for top grate handles because stainless were too expensive.

The standard Weber bolts are not stainless as far as I know, and the wing nuts they use are not even cast, they're pressed from sheet metal!

If you dry your the components off after use, and store everything in a cool dry place (I do this myself), then I wouldn't think stainless bolts are necessary.

I'm curious to hear more about your lid hanger mod... Could you post some pictures?

Neil,
Thanks, I think I will wait.
Here are pics of the lid hanger mod. I found the idea in my research about mini WSM builds.
lidhanger1.jpg

lidhanger2.jpg

lidhanger3a.jpg

Benefits:
1. It doesn't give off toxic fumes when heated to high temps like zinc. Zinc fumes are toxic but it might take temps over 900 to create the vapors, which shouldn't be an issue smoking.
2. If/when you need to take stuff apart, the stainless won't get rusted and should come part easily.

Back