WSM Cedar Cart

Matt Allen

Long time smoker, 1st time poster.

I wanted to share a picture of my WSM cedar caddy. I had been looking for some free plans to build, but couldn't find anything on the web. I found another thread on this forum and basically copied it visually.

I endedup building a framework with CEDAR 2" x 4s". I then used 1" x 3" and 1" x 4" cedar planks to enclose the smoker. I used the same planks for the shelf and top of the caddy. I used the rough side out for all of the vertical planks and the smooth side out for the shelf and top. I counter sunk a magnet into the door to keep it shut on those windy smokes. I finished the cart off with a water-based stain. Cedar is a very weather-resistant wood, so I didn't put a clear coat or sealant on it. I might do that next season depending on how the wood wears.

Please let me know what you think!

SmokerCaddy.jpg

Nice looking cart Matt.
I've always thought about doing something like that, but I prefer mine sitting on a low table I built.
I bet your design is a great wind-screen too!
If you think you might need to use a finish, I put teak oil on all of the wood handles of my Weber products that heve them. Hard finish and water resistant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Great looking cart Matt. Any problems getting food in and out of it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't had time to light one up yet, but I don't forsee any problems with moving the food. The only issue will be emptying the ashes after the cook, but that has always been a mess for me.

The cart raises the height of the cooker about 5", which is not much. The picture shows the smoker with the cover on it, but the top of the mid-section is flush with the top of the cart. I can't wait to cook a shoulder, but I have to wait until I get back from vacation.

Matt, can't seem to see your pic. Might be due to my work email blocker. Can you email me a pic at jerrylaux@hotmail.com

BTW, my brother and a lot of my friends live in Fishers, IN. Seems like most of Indiana is moving to that community. HA!

THX in advance. jeremy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean Jones:
Looks good! Let us know if you have any air flow problems when you get it fired up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It worked GREAT! I tried some country style ribs and the caddy couldn't have been better. I have adopted the clay saucer technique, so I was running between 250 and 270 degrees. There is plenty of room for air to flow between the planks, bottom and top. I can't wait to smoke on a WINDY day just to really test this thing out.

Back