Steve Raichlen's Rum Smoked Salmon

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
icon_confused.gif
I saw this yesterday on Steven Raichlen's TV show. He marinates a skinless salmon filet in dark rum for 15 minutes followed by a dry brine consisting of brown suger, salt and pepper. He let's the salmon cure for 4 hours in the refrigerator. He then rinses and smokes. On the TV show he used a WSM to smoke the salmon at 350f for 20 minutes. I'm assuming he gets up to 350 in the WSM by not using a water pan but he didn't mention this. Also twenty minutes??

I can see 20 minutes at 350F working for all but the thickest of fillets ... how thick would you say the fillet was?

Shawn, It looked like a typical salmon filet that you would get at Sam's club. Maybe 12" long and about 1/4" thick. I guess I'm more accustomed to the brown suger recipe that you smoke for 1 -1/2 hours at 225 - 250.

Yeah, I did that recipe but with Dave's cooking time and temps (and it was a Raichlen recipe, too, but he's always changing things up on his great show).

At 350, I guess you would actually be roasting. A skinless salmon fillet might be done in 20-25 min. I guess it depends on how "done" you like your salmon.

Dave, did you mean 1 1/4"? I've never seen a 1/4" salmon fillet. Most of the ones I've bought were 1 - 1 1/2 thick.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
Yeah, I did that recipe but with Dave's cooking time and temps (and it was a Raichlen recipe, too, but he's always changing things up on his great show). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Susan,
Did you smoke this at 350 for twenty minutes as Steven did on the show? If so, how did it come out? Thanks, Dave

Back