NOOB question on temperature control

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick M

I'm new to charcoal grilling and just bought the 18.5" OTS. Their directions/manual that came with it is rather vague.

For direct cooking it says to use about 40 briquettes across the bottom of the grate. OK; I got that. Now when it says to cook something (like a hamburger for instance), it says to use direct medium heat.

How do I control the heat to medium. Would this be to simply open the bottom vents 1/2 way? How about the top vent? Does this always stay fully open?

I appreciate any information I can get
icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

Rick M.

I'm somewhat new but my opinion would be that if you put a thermometer thru the holes in the lid it shoud be between 300-350 degrees for medium.

Also, when you get flare ups (and putting the lid on doesn't extinguish the flames) don't hesitate to move them away from the coals and cook them indirect heat.

If you can hold your hand above the lit coals at cooking height about 4-5 seconds the heat is considered medium. This is for grilling. For roasting a therm through the vent, as J notes, will tell you what your cooktemp is.

You can control the heat a number of ways and which you choose depends on cooking circumstances and preference. For grilling items that cook relatively quickly like burgers, fish fillets, standard steaks, many cooks prefer to control heat by controlling the amount of lit fuel they start with. This can be spread across the coal grate or just spread across half, depending on whether a 'cooler side' is desired and how much cooking space will be required. Many dump and spread their lit fuel in whatever way they wish then place the cooking grate on to heat and cover the grill. After several minutes the grate gets hot and then it is scraped (if needed) and oiled quickly. If the heat is hotter than desired many cooks will simply allow the coals to burn a bit more and release more energy for a while till such time where the heat is lessened. This works pretty well for shorter cooks. Restricting the air intake can lower temps but not only does this take time to occur, once the lid is removed to add the food the air rushes in and the vent restriction is for naught. Using the vent to control heat is better (in combination with fuel quantity) for longer cooks such as roasts and the like. The air intake is restricted after the food goes in and, coupled with a reduced amount of lit fuel, can allow for longer lower heat cooks. See here for ideas on that.

Once you cook a few times and try varying the amount of lit you use for shorter grill sessions you'll discover what amount and merthod you prefer.

Very informative. Thank you both!

I have a lot to learn - and I'm sure that's half of the fun. Eating your successes as well as your failures (most of them, anyway) is going to be a blast.

Thanks,

Rick M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back