Grilling Chicken

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
I saw recently on here, and cant find again, a way to do chicken (thighs legs etc.

From what I remember, it was "X" minutes direct, and then I think 30 minutes in-direct.

Does this sound ok or ring a bell for anyone?

People do legs/thighs many different ways. You can brown the pieces on all sides over direct heat (not too hot) I'd say 350-400*, then move them to indirect, lowering the heat to ~300-325. You can add some chips or a small piece of wood when you move them to indirect. If you are using sauce, put it on during the last 15 minutes. With poultry, it isn't always a specific time as the chicken has to be cooked through. Does this sound familiar?

I've been cookin' thighs and legs over indirect heat the whole time. Pull off the skin and season then place them over foil as a drip pan. I try to turn them about 20 minutes into the cook and then wait til I hear it rainin' in the kettle; that's when the fat or whatever start to melt and drips out of the meat and sizzles when it hits the foil. About an hours cookin time (a little more or less). it's perfect everytime..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Willie S:
I've been cookin' thighs and legs over indirect heat the whole time. Pull off the skin and season then place them over foil as a drip pan. I try to turn them about 20 minutes into the cook and then wait til I hear it rainin' in the kettle; that's when the fat or whatever start to melt and drips out of the meat and sizzles when it hits the foil. About an hours cookin time (a little more or less). it's perfect everytime.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do it the same way. Comes out great every time. Keep in mind this is only for dark meat, thighs and legs. Breast can't cook that long or they will dry out.

I usually "reverse sear" chicken pieces. Indirect for 45 minutes to an hour, turning once. Then I take an internal temp (it's usually not quite done). I bring the pieces up to temperature over direct heat; grill uncovered, turning constantly to crisp up the skin and get it nice and golden brown.

Back