About to forsake my Weber...

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
So I am finally about to retire my Genesis Silver C after nearly 12 years of awesome grilling, but sadly I think I am not going to be upgrading to a new Weber.

Have you guys seen the new TEC Char-broils? I REALLY wish Weber had a comparable product with the infra-red burners.

I use my Gasser for cookinf steaks about 75% of the time and all the buzz I have heard about those TEC Infrared burners and the sear you get has me convinced I need one.

I'll still be low/slow'n on my WSM, but sadly it looks like my next gasser won't be a Weber.

Thoughts?

Jason

I had hoped you would get some replies on the infared burner issue. I'm also curious. My Genesis Silver B with PCI grates tops out at nearly 700 and I seem to get a great sear on it. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of the super high 1000 degree plus temps ? Maybe in a high end steak house where they're cooking over an open grate ?

It will be hard for me to move away from Weber with their good quality products and, maybe more important, their off the chart CS. Of course, it took me a little longer than most to enter the computer age
icon_smile.gif

Follow-up ... I did a little research and apparently TEC had the patent on the infared burner and it ran out in 2000. High end grill makers then got in and apparently now lower end makers, such as Charbroil are stepping in. Who knows ... maybe Weber will move in that direction with their Summits in the future ... ?

Paul

Well I've tried dealing with Char-Broils Customer Service IMO there is none! The website sucks and if you need replacement parts you get shuttled to Grill Lover.com which is a black hole and sucks even worse. I never have been able to speak with a human voice as it wears my patience out to be on hold forever!

Now that I vented, I'm sure you will enjoy you're new grill.

My understanding is the TEC specific burners are still patented out the ying-yang and that in comparison between other infrared burners have a nearly 99% efficiency rating versus ~60% from the competition.

The actual temperature is just one of the factors. The fact that I will be cooking with almost 100% pure infrared radiant heat and not supra-heated air is another one of the reasons (supposedly) that an infra-red sear is superior to all others.

I had hoped for some more feedback as well, but I think these grills are so new to the market that there isn't a ton out there on them yet in the form of real-world testimonials.

That said, when I was researching grills about a year or so ago for a model with all the bells and whistles and specifically the infra-red burners was in the $1500 range MINIMAL so this seems like a heck of a deal.

I guess I just have to decide whether or not to be the Guinea pig!

This is where I got the info on the TEC patent. From reading some info from another site they reference what you're referring to in so far as combustion and say "TEC's patent pending" burner system. I imagine they've developed another system for the infrared burner.

It does sound interesting.

Paul

unless charbroils quality has gotten any better. i wouldn't go near it for any amount. My wondeful exp with cb is that customer service doesn't exist and if it wasn't for my neighborhood Lowes. I would've been screwed.They let me swap for a weber minus the difference and i've never looked back.
Do i have an ax to grind with charbroil ??You Bet.

Seeeyyaaa
Jeff

A friend has a Char-Broil TEC grill and he thinks that it is great. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up. It looks great. Infrared is OK, but I am doing very well without it. We will have to do a side by side cookoff comparision just for grins. Faster is not always the most flavorful.

My brother has a built in infra-red unit on an outdoor bbq island. I think they're great for steaks and chops, but other than that they're kind of useless aren't they? Is there anything else you can do with them?

Just wondering how you ended up with a Silver C 12 years ago??? We didn't start making them untill 2000. Summit's are avi with an IR burner... As are the Ducane's...

Originally posted by Paul G.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Osborn: Summit's are avi with an IR burner... As are the Ducane's...
Joe

Isn't that the rotis burner ? I think the thread is referring to the new Charbroil which has all IR burners (?) or maybe other grills that have a special IR burner for searing.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silver B maybe? Mine didn't have a side burner. Or my old grill wasn't nearly as old as I thought it was then, but definitely well before 2000.

At any rate.. I bought the TEC/Charbroil and so far am veyr happy with it. It is amazing how the steaks continue to sizzle and pop on the infrared burner side when I sear them on high temp.

It is a shame Weber couldn't keep up with technology on this as I would have much preferred to stick with Weber after so many good years from my Silver(?)

Winter is just slow... Lots of changes for this year.

I read the first part of the post as a 12yr old sil c and wondering about Weber products with IR burners.

Had my performer dug out of a snow bank and using it since January.

So Joe, are you saying there are weber products coming up with the IR burner? I am looking for just a product. In fact I would like a mixed grill, with a small portion (not rotis) an IR burner, and the rest regular burners.

The only thing we offer for IR burner is for a rotis. on summit grills. UMM... Summit S-450 and Summit S-650. Sorry?

Back