Butterflied bird help

B. Kaylor

TVWBB Fan
I am going to butterfly-smoke 2 turkeys for a fund raiser "silent auction" for next weekend. I want to smoke the birds ahead of time, quick chill and then freeze them to take to the event. My idea is to put the frozen turkeys into oven bags, and provide instructions for thawing, and either serving cold or re-heating. I know that you won't want to over cook when warming, so that is what I am asking for; any ideas of the best way to tell others how best to do this? Any ideas or information will be very helpful. Thank you so much!!

For silent auctions I usually use a picture from last year or "stock picture" on a flyer for auction. I usually say "will deliver on sat or sun etc..." That way they get the turkey fresh and not frozen.

I always freeze my turkey in pieces because it takes forever to properly thaw a whole or half turkey and you can dry it out reheating it.

However, I typically freeze 1/2 breast and legs and thigh pieces by wrapping them tightly in foil and then in a labeled freezer bag. I thaw them at room temp and reheat in the foil on 300 for 20 minutes until warm.

Thank you Chris! I guess that I was so focused on doing a turkey that they could take home that night that I wasn't considering doing them any other way. I like the idea of freezing in pieces and reheating too, I'll suggest that to the winners. This is my first offering for a silent auction so thanks for answering, this is a big help!

Back