Chiles Rellenos--fried or sautéed

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
8-10 Hatch chiles, roasted and peeled, split for stuffing, seeds removed, stems
intact –see note below
¾ pound grated Queso Fresco, Queso Adobera, or a 50-50 mix of mild cheddar and goat
cheese
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
vegetable shortening or lard for frying
4 large egg yolks, beaten
4 large egg whites, beaten until stiff

Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Stuff the chiles with the cheese and secure with toothpicks.
Heat a half-inch of shortening or lard in a large pot or pan to 375*.
Mix the eggs yolks into the whites. Dredge the chiles, two at a time, in the flour mix and shake off the excess. Dip into the egg batter then fry, turning occasionally, till golden, about 2-3 minutes. Remove carefully and drain on paper towels. Serve on top of a pool of Ranchera sauce.

Alternatively:

Instead of a batter, mix 1 Tablespoon flour with 1 cup corn meal, 1 teaspoon salt, a few grinds of the pepper mill, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. Pour on a plate.
Coat a sauté pan with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat.
Stuff the chiles with the cheese, roll in the flour mix, and sauté about 1 or 2 minutes per side, till the cheese is melted.

To prepare the peppers: Char the peppers by holding them over an open flame of a gas burner or grill. Put the peppers in a plastic bag for 30 minutes or so to steam the skin loose. When the pepper is cool enough to handle, remove the charred skin with your fingers or use a paring knife if necessary. Slit a side of the chile and remove the seeds.

Ranchera Sauce:

28-ounce can diced tomatoes
½ med yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional
a few dashes Cholula or Tabasco, optional

Sauté the onions in a little oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, cumin, and thyme, and cook till the garlic is fragrant but not brown, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juice, stir—mashing some of the tomatoes with your spoon—reduce heat and simmer till slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cilantro and pepper sauce just before serving, if desired.

Kevin, Thanks again for the recipe. Question for youWhich Book If you don't mind.
icon_wink.gif
Or anybody else. I'm thinking #1 or #2 Thanks again Bryan

Both are good. If you want to start with one get
#2 "Authentic ...".

My favorite way to eat pulled pork: Wrapped in homemade roasted corn tortillas with Salsa Mexicana and chopped romaine (for a little crunch) with a side of chiles rellenos. Mmm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
My favorite way to eat pulled pork: Wrapped in homemade roasted corn tortillas with _Salsa Mexicana_ and chopped romaine (for a little crunch) with a side of chiles rellenos. Mmm. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That sounds really good, Kevin. Thanks for the tip
icon_wink.gif

Thanks, Bill.

Another suggestion: I once had a baseball-size hunk of butt left that didn't get pulled. I ground it up and mixed it with shredded med white cheddar and crumbled goat cheese. Stuffed roasted ripe jalapeños with the mix and sautéed them using the method noted above. Served them with crema (sour cream cut with a little heavy cream, a squeeze of lime juice and some grated lime zest, and finely minced green jalapeños) drizzled on. Super appetizer.

Back