PDA

View Full Version : CIA Kitchen stuff

Ray Crick
10-29-2008, 05:41 AM
I was in a kitchen store yesterday and saw a new collection of stuff from CIA (Culinary Institute of America). Pots and pans look great, but I only purchased a can opener ($15). It is one of those openers that cuts from the side and leaves no sharp edges. I do not recommend this gadget. It is difficult to use and I am returning mine today.

Anyone else have any experience with the CIA stuff?

Ray

Rita Y
10-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Ray, I have the Rösle can opener that cuts from the side and like it a lot. It is a little pricey tho. There is a little trick to learn first - it's the vertical angle that one holds it to get it going. You have to hold the handle up a little, maybe about a 15-degree angle from the top of the lid, not parallel to the top of the can. Maybe yours is similar? It took me almost a week to "get" it! And I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Must have had a synapse lapse. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I haven't seen the CIA pans yet.

Rita

Ray Crick
10-29-2008, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have the Rösle can opener </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rita,

Mine says "CIA Masters Collection", not Rösle so I expect I have a different one. One problem I have is it is very difficult to turn the handle - requires more effort than any opener I have ever used.

Thanks for your input.

Ray

Rita Y
10-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Ray, I'd say that the handle of mine is slightly on the tight side too, but it seems to get around the can quicker than my old Swing-Away.

Tom Chips
10-29-2008, 09:33 AM
I had one for a while, a few years back and returned it as well. Very difficult to turn, and not worth the effort. I found a very simple, large kitchen Aid that did the job quickly. Its not like Im Forrest Gump and going to clumsily cut off my digits in the kitchen. And I cant remember the last time I didn't use all the contents in a can, or store the remainder in a separate container.

shervie
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Their to awkward for me. Give me a $3 one.

reardon
11-07-2008, 03:25 PM
i use the zyliss safe edge. great product, east to use. $15 but well worth it.

Sean S.
11-10-2008, 04:40 AM
i use the oxo (http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8850071165/m/3360046575) talked about below; love it. very easy to use and turn.