FTC Method with a Turkey

DavidW

Hi,
All of a sudden, I'm terrified that my Turkey will take longer than I've planned. I've planned on Brining it in Cranberry Juice and smoking it on the 18.5 WSM for 3 hours. My test 14lb Turkey (TJ's Brined bird) cooked in 2.5 hours even at 225-250 degrees, last years turkey on a different smoker cooked in about 3 hours. The forum and webpage, as well as other sites, say it'll be done in 3 hours. However so many sites say 7-8 hours or more since it's a 14 lb. Turkey.

With all that said: What do you guys think? My goal was a 225-250 smoke again.
If I plan on longer, can I do the Foil-Towel-Cooler method on a Turkey? I've done it with everything but a Turkey, will it be safe?

You can also tell me I'm worried for nothing and that on a Beautiful WSM it cooks in 3 hours or so because the smoker is just that good.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

David,

Cook time will be determined by cook temp and weight of bird. Generally, a brined bird cooks a little bit faster compared to a non-brined bird.

How big of a bird are you cooking and what temp do you plan to cook at?

7-8 hours for poultry seems insane to me. I find no benefit cooking poultry low and slow. Turkey is not tough like a brisket, so it doesn't need a long cook time to become tender. Also poultry quickly picks up the smoke flavor, so quickly it can be easily over-smoked.

I treat my WSM like my oven when doing birds. I cook a turkey somewhere between 350 and 400 because I want it to roast and I want the skin to become crisp. I prefer fruit woods like apple or cherry for turkey, but only a small amount.

Paul

David, I agree with Paul.

I brine my turkeys (trying the salted/butterfly recipe this year), fill the WSM with lump, open the vents wide, cock the lid, maybe cock the door and try to run it at 350 to 400 or as hot as it will stay. My cook times are in the 2.5 - 3.5 hr time range with birds from 12 to 22 lbs. Obviously the 22 lb bird took a little longer.

Cooking low and slow leaves poultry in the bacterial growth danger range much longer and is not generally recommended.

As far as F-T-C, I have never tried that on a turkey. I usually tent it w/ foil for 20-30 minutes and carve.

Have a great Thanksgiving, all!

Back