Thermoworks duel probe or ET732?

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
The Thermoworks TW8060 looks great. I've been a bit hard on my ET73 and may need a replacement. The problem with the TW8060 seems to me to be a lack of receiving unit. Am I reading this wrong, or would I have to sleep next to my WSM when doing an overnight smoke in order to hear the alarm?
If that's the case, I guess I'll be getting the ET732 .
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance - G

keep in mind that you still need to buy probes for the thermoworks unit, which can get pretty costly. Unless you already have some tc probes, the new thermoworks unit is not a deal. You can build some heavy duty probes from parts at Auber Instruments for around $20 each.

I'm slowly accumulating tc equipment and would like to eventually get a data logger, so I don't mind buying parts.

There's a rumor that thermoworks is designing a remote unit similar to the mav. I don't think it will be tc. My guess is that a tc unit will be pretty spendy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks Jeff. Pardon my ignorance, but : tc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thermocouple vs bi metal

thermocouples are the standard in industry and labs. you can build them yourself and can apply them in many ways. They can also be much faster, because they can be built extremely small with little thermal mass that will change temp really quickly. The thermopen is an example, which explains its speed and accuracy.

one other reason why I'm investing in thermocouples is that they can be applied to sous vide cooking, something that I have had designs on doing for some time. The tc needle probe is waterproof and can be inserted through foam tape (to make a seal) and into a vac bag.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">thermocouple </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That was my guess. Very cool, thanks for the info.

Back