BBQ classes in the Northeast

Pat DiFelice

Hello all,
Could anyone suggest a class, either one day or weekend on BBQ 101. Just getting hooked on using my WSM and would like to learn more on the subject. I'm in Massachusetts and wouldn't mind traveling for the day.
Thanks,
Pat

No need, hang out here, you'll learn tons.

I'd suggest checking out NEBS. They have some active members that have run classes in the past. you could also check out KCBS. If you join, they send you a news paper that lists classes and you can get into restaurant depot.

Classes, in general, are geared toward competing. They're are rarely done up north and when they are, they are usually well attended.

I'm a KCBS member and I can tell you that the classes offered in the East are few and far between. I've been looking for something in the NJ area for quite some time, but no luck.

I am attending a CBJ class in PA in a few months, but it's a 2 hour drive from me. So I'm sure it would be insane from MA.

Like j said, there's not really a need for classes when you have the knowledge of all these forum members at your disposal. I would just be fun to get together with other BBQ enthusiasts and perhaps pick up a new trick or two.

Keep on smokin!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Steve Farin of I Smell Smoke!!! just sent out this message:

Brendan Burek the pitmaster of Transformer BBQ and Steve Farrin (that's me) pitmster of I Smell Smoke are teaming up to teach a Brisket and Pork Butt class. Two meats taught 2 different ways. The date of the class is Feb 26th and it's being held in Canton Massachusetts at out Catering and Retail bbq location. Please contact Brendan at info@bbqnewengland.com for all the details. Space is limited so sign up ASAP

This is from Chris Hart pitmaster for IQue. They won the Jack Daniel's World Championship in 2009 and many other grand championships. Cost is $400. I'm considering going. I've taken Chris' class before and it instantly improved our processes and scores.

--------- From Chris Hart ----------
I’ll be holding the class at BBQ Guru HQ in Warminster, PA March 26/27.

The class is demo style and we'll run turn-ins on the same time schedule as a KCBS contest. I’ll give up everything we do (30+ KCBS GCs) in great detail including my chicken recipe which has yielded NEBS chicken team of the year two years running.

I’ll cook on Guru Oynx Smokers and use Guru controls.

The main class time is:

5pm-10pm on Sat 3/26
6am-2:30pm on Sun 3/27

Thanks to Bob and Kenny for setting this up.

Please send email for more details. Thanks!

Chris
hart2001@yahoo.com

just read THIS website and start q ing! that is the best way to learn is just jump into it! You gonna have some oops moments when you r bbq ing but that is how ya get god! I mean good

Gotta go with a few of the other comments. Just hang out here and ask a lot of questions. I knew absolutely nothing about que or smoking, was starting from scratch. More than few times members walked me through a cook. A bit of trial and error along the way too.

On the topic... it's true. I smoked 28 lbs of brisket last weekend for a party at a friend's home to rave reviews. I told my wife, there's no way I could have done it without the advice and info from TVWBB. Thanks to all.

Back