Sweet potato pancakes

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A good side with many barbecued or grilled meats. Good to pile pulled pork on as an alternative to sandwiches.

1 large sweet potato will make 5-6 3" pancakes.

1 largesweet potato, peeled and grated using the large holes of a box grater

salt

pepper

spices/herbs of your choice

1 egg, beaten

fat for frying

Put the grated potato in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add spices and/or herbs of your choice. Toss well. Stir in the beaten egg; mix well. The mix will exude water as it sits.

In a large non-stick saute pan heat the fat over med-high heat (use enough to cover the pan's bottom well). Portion out the visual equivalent of a 2" ball of mix and, using your hand or a large spoon, scoop out the portion letting excess moisture drain. With your hands flatten the portion into a 1/4"-thick cake and gently ease into the pan; repeat till the pan is full.

After it appears the cakes have lost moisture, set a bit, and started to brown around the edges (about 1-2 min) shake the pan to loosen them. Continue cooking till browned on the bottom, about 2-3 min more, then gently flip using a spatula and brown the other sides, about 4-5 min.

Remove from the pan, pat both sides with paper towels then serve or hold in a 200 oven on cake racks (for air/heat circulation) for 10-15 min if necessary.

Duck breast with sweet potato cakes over braised cabbage; pomegranate-orange-green peppercorn sauce:

sweetrosti.jpg

In these cakes: salt, green pepper, Aleppo pepper

With pulled pork, e.g, use a couple or three spices or herbs that play off the sauce--like ginger and garlic, cayenne and onion, onion and thyme, or allspice, thyme and clove.

With chicken perhaps sage and onion, thyme, onion and garlic, cinnamon and sage, or lemon zest, pepper and garlic.

For beef, e.g., marjoram and thyme, nutmeg and clove, ground chile, garlic and onion, horseradish and onion.

Sauteed minced fruit or reconstituted dried fruit can make a good addition as well. Use 1-2 T/potato and mix in just before adding the beated egg.

I was just thinking about doing a turkey breast and dressing...sweet potato cakes would make a perfect addition to the menu. Thanks Kevin.

OOOOOweeeee! Cinnamon and ancho pepper was great on these sweet potato cakes.

This is a wonderful accompanyment to any bbq-must try.

p.s. this is easy too

Wow were these easy and wonderful.

I went with cinnamon & ancho, but would probably just go ancho next time or try something completely different. My wife loves cinnamon with her SPs so I figured it would be safe. Ancho works wonderful though.

Back