Water pan mods using ceramic briquettes?

David McNutt

Inventory: 1 - brinkman water pan; 1 - water pan from an old Char-Broil H20 smoker; Ceramic briquettes from my old gas grill.
I put 4 ceramic briquettes in the bottom of my brinkman pan. I set the Charbroil pan in the brinkman pan. (pseudo-piedmont). Put the remaining 40 or so ceramic briquettes in the Charbroil pan, and foiled over the top.
Any experience using ceramic briquettes in this fashion? This is just an early Sunday morning, no money spent modification I thought I would try.

I saw this post and tried gas grill lava rocks in the WSM waterpan with a pizza stone foiled over, two cooks so far so good.

I have no ceramic anything to play with and was looking around when I saw these:

Char-Broil Char-Diamonds
http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Char-Diamonds/dp/B000KKIAL6
"Superior flare and temperature control. Better heat distribution than lava rock or ceramic briquets."

I wonder if that would be the best thing to get and if so, would one box be enough?

I've never actually seen pictures of a peidmont mod. If any of you guys have pictures of what your setups look like, I'd love to see them.

Back