No oil on brined turkey skin?

John Drackett

I'm going with a basic brine and I'm wondering about no oil at all on the skin. I've used canola oil on whole chickens in the Weber and it can taste oily.

What you ya'll think about: pat dry - toss on the grill?

Just took my 14 pounder off the smoker. I apple and honey brined it, and I rubbed it down with veggy oil with a little bit of sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper before smoking. When I pulled it, the skin was crisp, and I had to push to get the Thermapen to pierce it. Crispiest skin that I have ever done on a bird.

Turkey1.jpg

I didn't put anything on my apple brined bird in the smoker. Next time I'll rub some oil and a little salt and rub. The skin was gorgeous-mahogony brown but not crispy to bit through.

John, I forgot to mention that I smoked my bird at 300 degrees the entire time. I would tend to believe that cooking at a lower temp might not allow the skin to get crispy.......just a thought.

Brining and oiling is no problem at all as shown by your posts above. The brine flavours the meat, the fat helps colour and crisp the skin. Great pics BTW !

Back