New 2007 Weber Summit S-650... dying to plug in gas

Jimbo B

TVWBB Fan
Well, the new S-650 was delivered. Fully assembled. I've fondled it, the dog has had his way with the steel cart, but the natural gas line still isn't ran. Every time I see it I want to grill. May not survive the 1-2 weeks. Pictures to follow.

Initial observations:

The lid, for being heavy, closes with a muted-thud, rather than a metallic clang (as does the side-burner flap) thanks to some rubber-grommet things that it touches instead of metal-to-metal. Nice.

There are *12* flavorizer bars.

The solid-stainless-steel rod grates are quite impressive compared to my hollowed out ones.

6 AAA-batteries required taking a remote and a calculator offline to get the two handle-lights working.

The rotis. makes a noise similar to a group of whales having an orgy. Not what I expected it to sound like at all, but I'm sure a bit of lube will go a long way.

As soon as the gas is hooked up, you can expect pics+expiriments w/ the infrared burner/etc if anyone is interested.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As soon as the gas is hooked up, you can expect pics+expiriments w/ the infrared burner/etc if anyone is interested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be interested in how the infrared burner works.

I can see it now, you fire up the grill full blast, the natural gas is being sucked into it generating thousands of BTU's and all of the neighbors pilot lights go out.
icon_smile.gif

I will post them right here in approx 14 days when the Natural Gas hookup arrives. I had to put the cover on the grill while it sits so I didn't feel compelled to fondle it.

I've warned my neighbors that their pilots may be going out, on your advice.

Gas is plugged in... pictures forthcoming. Hit mid-700s on the burn off to get rid of the newish-smell. Raining like hell all day so I didn't get a chance to make anything.

On the infrared burner, you click on to light and then hold the knob in for about 30 seconds until it's glowing hot. The initially flame is emitted on the left side and flies down the right and nothing happens for about 10-15 seconds while the burner starts glowing. It does not impact air temperature much inside the grill, but that's not how it cooks.

Back