Cream of Jalapeno Soup

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Cream of Jalapeno Soup

From Grady Spears, head chef of the Reata Restaurant in Fort Worth, TX

Yield: 6 servings

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and seeded
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 large onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
2 cups diced tomatoes (about 2 large tomatoes)
8 cups heavy cream
1 bunch cilantro, stemmed and chopped
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Mince the jalapenos and set aside. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the jalapenos, onions, and garlic and saut?, stirring, until the vegetables are soft.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the avocados, tomatoes, and cream. Lower the temperature and return the pan to the heat, watching and stirring so the cream does not separate. Bring the soup slowly back to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes to reduce by one third and to blend the flavors. Be sure to stir the soup occasionally to prevent sticking or scorching. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving stir the chopped cilantro leaves into the soup, reserving some for garnish. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro.

Keri,

This soup looks great but I have a question...
When you add the tomatoes and avocado to the cream and then cook for 30 minute, are you expecting the tomatoes and avocado to "melt" into the cream or do you want to keep the temps low enough to keep them intact?

To be honest, I kept the temp VERY low due to the cream content. The tomatoes and avocado "melted" somewhat, and it was perfectly fine in a very soft chunky sort of way. However, I was aiming for a full-blown cream soup, so I put it through the blender in two batches before adding the cilantro. Mission accomplished. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It's very rich, so it's isn't an everyday sort of soup. Nice for company, though.

Keri C

Keri,

Thanks for answering my question. I think I would prefer the chunky style myself. My best friend (for the last several decades)and I have somewhat of a competition going...each time we make a soup, we make a double batch and swap.
I think this one will put me in the lead... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That's a great idea! Let me know how the next swap goes. I have a very tasty recipe for a chunky Tuscan soup of sliced sausage, potatoes, and chard in a lightly creamy stock base if you're interested... it's my husband's favorite and quite nice for chilly evenings.

Keri C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri Cathey:
[qb] Okay, I'll pull it out and post it here under another topic.

Keri [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We're waiting...I'm hungry, gett ing wea k, hur rr yyy be forre ittt 's tto la

Okay, guys and gal, keep your drawers on. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I've posted my favorite soup recipes that include chard. It's supposed to start getting cold and wet here in OK this weekend, so I finally got around to getting them out. In this side dish forum, you'll find:

"A hearty Tuscan soup, wiith sausage, potatoes, and chard" that I modified from the copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Tuscana, that I described above in a previous post.

"Chris Castellani's Italian Wedding Soup", a nice broth-based soup with meatballs and seasoned with red pepper flakes, onion, and carrot. HIs recipe calls for frozen spinach, although I've used both chard and kale in it with good results.

Ribollita - A Reboiled Italian Soup thickened with Italian bread. Uses chard, onion, carrot, savoy cabbage, pureed white beans, stock, and whatever smoked meats you have leftover that you'd care to toss in the pot.

If you try them, let me know what you think.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Thank You Keri!
From the top of my stomach! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Hi! This recipe, and the others mentioned on this thread, sound soooo good!

I am expecting mucho company for the holiday. I will definitely try this soup. Hmmm ... have you ever melted cheese in it? Yummy!

Back