New Pitminder Defective?

Ryan Kelley

TVWBB Member
My new Pitminder just arrived and I thought I'd give it a test run on the bench using boiling water. So I have the probe in the water with the dial set to 90F and the fan continues to run. No matter where I set the dial the fan just continues to run. I don't think this is how it is supposed to work.

I called tech support, but no answer. Anyone oever get a hold of them on weekends?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Kelley:
So I have the probe in the water with the dial set to 90F and the fan continues to run. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
90º Never saw a pitminder but my competitor pit temp only goes down to 175º as the lowest pit temp setting. I hope you didn't get water in where the wire goes into the end of the clip.
icon_eek.gif

EDIT: Ok just went there and read the specs, 90º as the low pit temp for cold smoking.
icon_cool.gif
Turn it off and unpug the probe wire from the unit and look at the prongs to make sure they aren't bent over, then make sure the plug is pushed in the whole way into the unit.

Nope, no water in the end where the wire goes in. Only 3/4 sumberged. Not sure what prongs you're referring to. Everything looks brand new. Nice and straight.

Don't have an answer for your problem .. The Guru folks usually do bbq contests on weekends so this time of year, you usually can't get tech support on the phone Friday thru Sunday. The prongs Bryan was refering to are on the end of the plug for the temp probes. Look at the end when you unplug it from the base unit and you'll see 4 small (male) pins. Also, the very end of the meat probe (3/4") is where the sensor is and there's no need to submerse it as far as you did.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
The prongs Bryan was refering to are on the end of the plug for the temp probes. Look at the end when you unplug it from the base unit and you'll see 4 small (male) pins. Also, the very end of the meat probe (3/4") is where the sensor is and there's no need to submerse it as far as you did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have the basic pit minder without the meat probe. Only the pit probe. The probe plug is a headphone style single male plug. No pins at all.

Anyway, I assuem the fan should shut off it the temp is way above setpoint. Right?

I was really pysched to use it today in preperation for a big overnight cook I have coming this weekend. Oh well.
icon_confused.gif

sounds like you may have a bad probe. if the dial is set at 90 and the probe is in boiling water, the fan should not come on.

I have a bad connection in the power input. I thought it was odd that the power jack only went in 2/3 of the way. If I hold it just right and stand on one foot the unit works fine. Actually I was able to give it a trial run on some chicken tonight. I had to keep a close eye on it and jiggle the power jack a few times when it ran away. Other than that it worked great. I'll call Guru tomorrow. I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Back