Outdoor Wok Burner

Michael O'Neal

TVWBB Member
In addition to grilling and barbecuing, I also like to cook frequently in a wok. Unfortunately, the gas cooktop in my kitchen provides a pretty puny amount of heat compared to what is required for proper wok performance. I was considering getting one of these wok cooker (or something similar) and wondered if anyone here has had any experience with them or other recommendations for something better but fairly affordable. Thanks.

Thanks, Joe. I thought about one of those although most aren't very tall since they are designed to have a big pot of frying oil (yikes!) on top. I don't want to stoop over to use the wok if I can get around it. Have you had good luck with any particular brand of propane burner?

Mike... Between my sons and I we have 4 propane burners from turkey fryers. As you mentioned most are on the low side, however one of ours is higher. We purchased them years ago and I can't recall the brand. One other suggestion is a 1 or 2 burner propane camp stove that is a comfortable height for wok cooking. Cabela's sell them and I think they are about $70-$80. The burners also have various output 30,000 to 60,000 BTU. I prefer the higher BTU model since I have 32 inch dia. woks.

joe

Fire up half a chimney of charcoal in your smoky joe and drop a cheap large steel wok on top. You can set the smoky joe on a patio table. Be sure and use hot mits on the wok. I just got lucky and the big wok I got at the chinese grocery store sits on my SJ and leaves room in the bottom for coals.

Not enough heat if you are going to try and stir fry large portions for catering but works for normal portions.

My mom and her dad catered parties/luaus in Hawaii for many years. They tried cooking by using the wok over lump charcoal and that didn't work because of the heat generated was not enough. They used a half of a 55 gal drum, cut crosswise, and built a fire using split mesquite, lumber and scrap wood. Only then could the high temp be achieved. A better wok cooker can be made from 5 gal steel bucket using wood as fuel instead of charcoal on the SJ.

joe

SK with a full chimney works for a small wok. The other setup i've seen is a standard weber 18.5" kettle with a large propane ring burner mounted in the bottom (like from turkey fryer type of burner). We cooked in a 28" wok on top of that burner all afternoon.

Thanks for all the creative ideas. Leaning towards the propane burner since I can just fire it up and start cooking right away but I may try the SJ just to see how much heat it will generate. Good to have options.

Joe's feedback helped me decide on a Cajun Bandit Turkey Fryer here:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Cl...2540482&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I don't know about the 185k BTU's it claims but it does put out far more heat than anyone would need to produce Chinese restaurant quality stir fry in literally seconds. I have a short patio table that is the ideal height and stability to set this on top of when I use it.

Well, bought a Bayou Classic SP-10 as recommended by Alan and others via the Amazon link. I've used it 3 times for wok and high heat cast iron sear cooking and it's just what I wanted. The unit is well built, simple to operate and puts out more heat than I will ever need. Thanks for all the suggestions and if you want a high heat outdoor burner, I suggest you seriously consider this one.

Michael,

A bunch of us are CRAZY about this thing: Southwest Discaca

It is very heavy at about 25 lbs and fits directly over a weber kettle or over a propane burner. It is a little different than wok cooking, but very fun.

I've also got a Discada, nothing like it! I've used mine over charcoal in my kettles, I've not tried it on my SJ because of the weight, I think it would buckle the legs of the little guy. I've had decent success with charcoal, but it's usually just not the kind of heat that i'm looking for. Over a propane turkey fryer style burner, then you can turn out some legit chinese and make some great sizzling and smoke!

Back