Shredded Onion Rings

Mike Resler

TVWBB Super Fan
This recipe is from a restaurant that I frequent. They are AWESOME and VERY addictive!

Jake's Restaurant Shredded Onion Rings

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil for frying
10 large white Spanish onions, cored
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup eggs, beaten
3 cups flour for dusting
Salt to taste

Directions:
Heat oil in a home deep-fryer to 375 degrees. If you do not have a home fryer, use a large pot and a fry basket. Fry onions in multiple batches. Use a thermometer to make sure temperature returns to 375 degrees between batches.

Slice onions as thin as possible using a mandolin or cut with a knife.

Make an egg wash by combining milk and eggs. Put onions in colander set over a bowl. Pour egg wash over onions. Allow the wash to drip out. Onions should be completely covered, but not too wet. Use egg wash that seeps into bowl if needed or discard.
Dredge in flour so onions are lightly covered.

Fry according to manufacturer's instructions on home fryer. If using a pot, place a few cups of prepared onions into fryer basket and slowly lower into pot.

Onions will make the oil bubble and foam up considerably; lowering the basket slowly will prevent oil from dangerously spilling over the sides of the pot. Fry onions until golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, moving constantly so they brown evenly.

Remove from oil and season with salt to taste. Serve immediately.

Makes 6 to 10 appetizer servings

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Resler:
Make an egg wash by combining milk and eggs. Put onions in colander set over a bowl. Pour egg wash over onions. Allow the wash to drip out. Onions should be completely covered, but not too wet. Use egg wash that seeps into bowl if needed or discard.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike, This recipe for the french fried onions really sounds great. I love thin sliced fried onions. I'm sure since Jake's prob makes these 100 times a day, that they have the whole egg wash, coate onion thing down pat. If I were to make these at home, I'd put the sliced O's in a bowl and add the egg wash. Toss all the O's till covered in the egg then place in a collander to drain. Just a little easier, and a sure way to get them all covered in egg for the home cook. Mmmm french fried onions. Thanks for posting the recipe.
icon_cool.gif
And that's a lot a O's for sure. We'll have to break this one down a bit.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back