How much lump is enough?

Tom Murtiashaw

TVWBB Member
I am now experimenting more with lump charcoal for grilling because more brands of lump are available in Alaska (at least in stores around Anchorage). My question for you lump experts is how much do you use to start with. I have a Smokey Joe, an 18" OTG and a 22" Performer. With briquettes it's easy to just calculate how many pieces it will take to cover the grate on each of my grills. With lump it's a little more challenging due to the many odd size pieces and my confessed lack of knowledge as to how much heat lump will produce and how long to expect it to burn. If anyone has any good rules of thumb they have developed over the years for using lump, please share your knowledge.

Thanks.

Tom

Here comes the dreaded answer that nearly everybody hates:

It Depends!

If you want high-heat for fast cooks, I like to use a bit of a "pile" of charcoal. For smaller pieces of meat / quick cooks, just make a smallish, deep pile in the middle of your grill. This way, if you make it too hot - you can move the meat away from the heat source.

For bigger, quick, high-heat cooks (burgers for a group etc.) start with a pile, then spread it out a few minutes prior to tossing the meat on. The thinner layer of coals will rapidly heat-up, but will also die-out more rapidly.

For indirect cooks, I would keep the piles deeper and off to the sides. You need enough coals to keep it from dying-out when you put the lid on.

The longer you will need the heat, the deeper of a layer / pile of coals you will need.

Hope this helps

During my "adjustment" phase, when I was just trying lump for the first time I often made the mistake of not starting with enough and getting dying fires/not finished meat, which led to some angry hungry family members and a frustrated cook.

One of the very best things I like about using lump is how easily you can use unspent lump for your next cook. So when in doubt, I tend to use more than I might need rather than risk not having enough to get the job done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
One of the very best things I like about using lump is how easily you can use unspent lump for your next cook. So when in doubt, I tend to use more than I might need rather than risk not having enough to get the job done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Theres the answer. I use a lot of lump so I am sure I have enough fuel for the cook. When done, close the vents and the fire will extinguish. You can then use the left over lump for your next cook.

Back