Stoker Telnet API/commands

RobM (YankeeRob)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all,

I've read quite a lot about StokerLog so I am aware of the application. I want to do something similar but not quite as fancy in Java in order to do a port over to a PDA or other non windows device. I have a bunch of questions for you Stoker developers out there if you have the time:

- I'd like to use the Telnet interface instead of parsing the HTML out of the embedded web server. Is it possible to do everything using this interface or are there some functions that can only be accomplished with the HTTP protocol? Stuff like set temps, alarms as well as reading temps and status.

-What are the various commands available at the Telnet prompt? I came across this at Kaytat:

http://www.kaytat.com/stoker_telnet.html

Is this it or are there secret commands you may be aware of.

My ultimate goal is to get some simple stuff running on a wireless PDA I can use during cookoffs. I don't like the idea of bringing my laptop to perform this function when I can use a smaller device instead.

Also, if there's any sample code out there I'd like to take a look at it. I'm fluent in .NET (C#, VB) as well as Java.

thanks,

rob mongeon

Unfortunatley, there is no getting around parsing the HTML. The Telnet interface gives you a lot, but for example, lacks probe names. The interface was designed for debugging the code, and not as a complete interface.

And yes, the site you found is the extent of information which exists.

Note that the HTML is generated dynamically and includes jscript. So it is more difficult than it seems to parse it reliably in all scenarios of probes and configurations. Probably 30% of the development time for stokerlog was on writing and rewriting it till it works. Now I don't dare touching the code
icon_smile.gif

Answering your ohter question, telnet interface is read-only. You cannot use it to set anything. Setting however, can be done using HTTP Post. This part is not complicated to do and should be documented above.

I see. I don't mind parsing the HTML but if the embedded web pages ever change this will break any applications that are written against it as I am sure you are aware. Let's hope this doesn't happen any time soon.

Part of this project is to gain a better understanding of the J2ME platform so it's more educational then anything. All I want to do is read a stoker set up for 1 pit with a meat probe, pit probe and blower and to be able to modify the settings. Maybe throw in some alert mechanism. Should be an interesting project.

Thanks,

rob

Back