David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
1 Pound thick bacon
Wet towel
Spray bottle with water
Plate at the ready
Long tongs
Grill set up with 3 zones, Inferno, Hot and Low

Bacon is always good. Why grill bacon? Because of the flavor and texture. What grilling does to bacon is add a bit of char to the edges and smokey flavor that you can not get from the oven or griddle without setting off all the smoke detectors. The bacon I have has never seen a store or butcher shop. It is not injected but is cured. Like the bacon your parents remember from their childhood. To make it easy (easier) to control, cut the bacon lengthwise. Forget control and rather think controlled explosion.

My technique for grilling bacon is to set up the grill (from right to lect) infrared burner on high, regular burner on high and regular burner on low. Preheat the grill. The wet towel is to wipe your forehead when your eyes tear from the smoke and flames. Use longs tongs or loose the hair and feel the burn. Have a plate ready for complete bacon. Keep a spray bottle ready to knock back the flames. You will have flames. This cook is with the top of the grill open.

The bacon I grill is cut in half lengthwise, thick and meaty. Thin slices are wiped out too fast. Each slice about 4-6" long. Lay out 5 or 6 slices from front to back on your grill in the hottest zone. On my grill, in about 45 to 60 seconds the flames are over the bacon. Knock back the flames but keep the bacon in this section until it starts to shrink. In this zone you kick start the cooking process. After the bacon starts to shrink move the bacon to the middle section of the grill over an available spot. Wait until the flames go out before adding more.

The purpose of the middle section is to render most of the fat while minimizing the flames. It completes the majority of the cooking - from start of shrink to uncontrollable flames or “mostly cooked but you need to move it out of the flames”. I move it from the middle section in order to use a low(er) heat to fully cook the bacon without producing charred bits. The first section is too hot and the next zone too low. I do move the bacon around in this zone, flip it, etc. This is where most of the cooking is done but not the finishing last part. Spray it with water to knock back flames as necessary. Move the bacon to the third section when the bacon is mostly cooked, when you need the room or the flames are out of control.

The third section (low on my grill) is to basically finish cooking the bacon. With the burner on low, this is the last step in the cooking process and the spot on the grill with the least flames.

I do bacon on both the kettle and the gasser.
I am having some trouble picturing the inferno
and controlled explosion idea. I use lower
cooking temps and seem to have pretty good
control grilling the bacon this way. If I move it
around to different areas of the grill I dont need the spray bottle for flame control. Whatever works I guess.

Back