Dump cake / cobbler - Dutch Oven cooking

Dan Kuhn

TVWBB Member
A great way to make a perfect desert to go with any BBQ is to use a cast-iron Dutch Oven. I learned years ago in Boy Scouts and recently revived my love of cooking with cast-iron.

Here is a good one that is quick and VERY easy

3 cans pie filling of your choice (mix and match if you like - 2 apple and 1 peach is a good combo - cherry is a great one!!!!!!!!!!)
½ cup of instant tapioca
1 yellow or white cake mix
1-1¼ cups of brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 10" or 12" cast-iron dutch oven
cinnamon (if you want)

Line Dutch oven with heavy duty foil. GREAT trick when cooking "sugary" stuff in a Dutch Oven. Even when seasoned properly sugary stuff is a pain to clean from cast-iron!!!!!! Dump in the pie filling. Mix tapioca pudding in with filling. Level filling as well as you can. Pour dry cake mix over top (no need to mix in with filling - just dump and level). Spread brown sugar over top of cake mix to cover. Cut butter into slices and just place them randomly on top of the sugar.

General rule of thumb - (3 up/3 down rule): To acheive approximate temperature of 325 degrees in a dutch oven you should put diameter plus 3 briquettes on top of the dutch oven and diameter minus 3 on bottom. Example: 12 inch diameter dutch oven gets 15 briquettes on top and 9 on bottom. Like all BBQ and Grilling rules - obviously not an exact science but pretty close. Do this and cook for about 30 to 45 minutes. Try to resist peeking as you lose all that heat each time!!!!!!! When done the top will be browned and the filling will be bubbling up thru the cake mix.

A simple accompanying item are grilled bananas. Get firm yellow bananas. DO NOT PEEL THE BANANAS. Cut off stem. Slice banana long ways and then each of those halves in half again (yeilding quartered bananas). Brush each quarter (the side without the peel
icon_smile.gif
)with oil of your choice (I use extra virgin olive oil) and dip in mixture of brown and white (regular granulated) sugar. Grill dipped side down for 2 to 3 minutes and then flip to peel side down for 2 to 3 minutes more. They will get a little mushy (DON'T OVER COOK OR THEY ARE VERY MUSHY) when done. (My neices and nephew get a BIG kick out of helping with the brushing and dipping part!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sorry for the length of the post but this is sure worth it.

Back