Help! - Cleaning my new PCI Grates

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Let me start off by saying I'm a big fan of these PCI grates. What an awesome sear!

I recently refurbished my Genesis 1000 with all new "guts" and I'm not sure I'm cleaning my PCI grates properly. After my cook I'm turning all three burners to high and allowing to burn off until she stops smoking. After she cools I take a brass brush and scrub the grates down.

My concern is I'm not getting down to the grate clean. I seem to be building up a layer of . . . gunk on my grates. I haven't taken the back side (blade) of my grill brush to her as I'm afraid I'll chip the porcelain coating, but it looks like that's what I need to do. I'm sure just one good stroke on each grate row would do the trick.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but my cleaning process is in reverse. After cooking i turn off the gas. About mid-way into the next preheat, I take my triangular, long handle Weber brass brush and scrub the grates down - nothing else. Anything that concerns me comes off the grate. I think this process allows the oil, grease and gunk to coat the grates between cooks and help prevent rust. I've had the same PCI grates for 4 or 5 years and they seem to be doing well.

BTW, I bought a couple of cans of the non-flammable Weber grill spray just to try and it worked well. I think if chipping in the coating did occur, that product could extend the usage period of the grates for some time.

Paul

Paul, thanks for your reply. How "clean" do the grates get? Maybe I'm being picky and wanting it in back to new condition, however, the grates are only 4 cooking sessions old and I would think I should be able to get them pretty clean at this point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Paul, thanks for your reply. How "clean" do the grates get? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's difficult for me to answer. They're clean enough that I feel comfortable eating food cooked on them, but there are certainly some small spots or areas that have something on them. The brush I mention really does a better job than anything I've used. Sounds like you really would be more comfortable with a thorough cleaning, maybe with the foil burn off and an occasional soaking ? You know when you get things too clean, your body can't build up a good immune system and when a germ hits - you don't hava chance
icon_smile.gif

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You know when you get things too clean, your body can't build up a good immune system and when a germ hits - you don't hava chance Smiler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, do I know you? This comment is so damn dead on; everyone I know scolds me about using that damn hand sanitizer. I have one stashed in my car, my briefcase, my murse (a man purse, yes, I carry a man purse), the kitchen, on the patio and yes, the list could go on and on. Everyone tells me my immune system doesn't have a chance.

I'll take a picture of my grates and post and maybe you and others could comment on it and tell me if I'm nutz and this is as clean as I'm going to get them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I don't know if it makes any difference, but my cleaning process is in reverse. After cooking i turn off the gas. About mid-way into the next preheat, I take my triangular, long handle Weber brass brush and scrub the grates down - nothing else. Anything that concerns me comes off the grate. I think this process allows the oil, grease and gunk to coat the grates between cooks and help prevent rust. I've had the same PCI grates for 4 or 5 years and they seem to be doing well.
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do the same as Paul.
icon_biggrin.gif

I have a small plastic putty knife that I sometimes use to get any larger pieces of residue off my PCI grates. (Only use it when the grates are cool!).

Ray

I clean mine same as Paul here. I actually do a cold scrub before I light the grill and another while it is heating up, then I rub down the grates with EVOO.

I clean my PCI grates the same way. I do a burn off after I cook, but I don't brush them until the grates are cool (which is frequently when I go to use the grill the next time.) I have heard porcelain is softer when hot so I avoid brushing the grates when hot. And use a brass brush, not steel.

I'm not very fussy about getting the grates brand-new clean. That's just more time and effort than I am willing to put into it, and to be hones, a little burnt on smoke or grease isn't going to hurt anyone, anyway. There's not really and food safety issue here.

But if you really want them clean, check with Weber and see if the PCI grates can be washed in the dishwasher. In theory, as long as the porcelain isn't breached, the grates should withstand the dishwasher without rusting. But don't take my word for it; check with Weber.

My gasser isn't a Weber, but on all of my grills, I scrub the grates with a wire brush while still hot after a cook. When I heat my grill for my next cook, scrub them again, and I wipe the grates with veggie oil just before I put on the product.

Back