Trader Joe's turkey

Dave/G

TVWBB Emerald Member
I got a TJ flyer today in which they talk about getting in all natural turkeys that come already brined. Ever use one of these in prior years?

"All Natural - Already Brined" seems like an oxymoron to me. Anyone else feel the same? Haven't used one but I imagine it would cook just like a home brined bird.

From USDA:

NATURAL:
A product containing no artificial ingredient or added color and is only minimally processed. Minimal processing means that the product was processed in a manner that does not fundamentally alter the product. The label must include a statement explaining the meaning of the term natural (such as "no artificial ingredients; minimally processed").

Salt being a natural ingredient can be added to a 'natural' bird. Birds chilled via immersion take on a percentage of water and that is considered minimally processed to the USDA.

Paul

Trader Joes has both brined and non-brined turkeys. Both say natural. I picked up one of each. I am going to smoke the non-brined one (I will brine it myself), and my wife is going to cook the brined one in the oven. We want to see which one we like better. I have never tried TJ turkeys but have heard good things...

Don't know about this year, but in years past where I am, TJ turkeys are really kosher turkeys.

I like 'em. I was going to try smoking one this year.

Good luck,
Brett

Back