Smoker \ BBQ Gloves

I just use some heavy duty rubber gloves from the electrical dept at my local home type store. Seem to work just fine for half the cost of the kitchen intended ones.

I got a pair of Stanley rubber gloves out of the paint stripper section of Lowe's. They actually come in a size to fit guys and i use them for working with rubs, pulling, and manipulating food on and near the racks.

When I'm working on the hotter end, I use a pair of Lodge Red Leather gloves. They're about like a welder's glove. I can grab pretty much anything with them on and not get burned, and they also protect the forearms. Nice for working around a hot chimney and reaching in the fire chamber.

Red Leather Gloves

Here are the gloves I use for meat handling. Very good heat protection, good feel, textured surface for better grip on the food and super easy to clean ~ Just wash your hands with the gloves on, dry. Their rubs are excellent too. I use welders gloves for fire management.

Bill

I purchased and use these gloves too. Two comments: first, if you have big hands they are a little on the small side. Second, they are not melt proof. I accidentally touched a very hot part of a rotesserie grill and it burned into the rubber. It did, however, protect my hands. Overall, they are excellent gloves and their rib rub is excellent. I haven't tried the other ones.

I have fallen in love with gloves called "ove glove". They are like thick cotton gloves. Very easy to grab fine things. I use them at work on our 650 degree solder equipment.

I also use the PVC gloves for meat handling and you can get them from a local industrial supply company for $2 a pair. I also use the welding gloves for handling fire equipment.

Originally posted by Mike Draper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Here are the gloves I use for meat handling. Their rubs are excellent too.
Bill

The same gloves I use, and yes the rubs are good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me 3 Their Rubs and gloves.
icon_biggrin.gif

I also have a pair of regular length welding gloves and a elbow length pair for going down in there, plus i use them for my coal stove in the winter months.

I second the Ove Glove. My father bought one of them for me for Christmas one year and I thought it was a joke. But they give you a pretty good mix between protection and manuverability. I actually have two of them. (Word to the wise though ... don't get them wet!! They lose their insulation properties, they don't dry well and then stink afterwards!)

icon_smile.gif

I am more like Don in my use of gloves. I use some PVC gloves I picked up at my local home improvement store for handling food, and some welder's gloves I picked up at a discount hardware store. We also have a pair of "Ove" gloves for the house. However, I usually don't bring those out to the WSM.

Rick

For obvious reasons, when demonstrating, I use the Weber BBQ oven mitt which works a treat. When I am cleaning up I use a pair of heavy duty leather gloves to handle hot BBQs and ash.
For handling the food I use latex gloves that are specifically designed for food handling (if I have to) but most of the time I use tongs and (shock horror) clean hands. I ask people if they use gloves at home when preparing food for themselves or their family and friends. and point out that when the food is cooked it will kill any bacteria. It is more important to have a sanitised cutting board for carving/chopping after the food is cooked, sanitised handling equipment and serving plates for presentation of the food.

Regards

Mark C, the beauty of the oveglove is that they're machine washable. I use them too.

However, they don't protect your forearms when reaching in, and you can't handle the meat without making a mess of the gloves.

Maybe try using a larger latex glove over the oveglove for handling meat?

I mostly like the oveglove because they're easy to put on, insulate extremely well, and allows complete flexibility during use.

You can find them locally at places like Target, WalMart, etc.

Back