SS 7MM vs. PCI Grates

Joe Dang

TVWBB Super Fan
I have had a WSM for about 4 years now, love it, cherish it. I've also used it in various configurations for grilling. Wanting to explore more ways to grill, I decide I want a grill. either gas or a kettle. I end up buying a cheap 22.5" master touch off craigslist, just last week. Used it twice, got really hot, worked great. But it still didn't satisfy me, sometimes I want really fast convenience, and a gasser would do just that.

Well, just this weekend, my GF gets a Marriott Rewards pamphlet with sample items in it, and lo and behold, there's a Genesis EP-320 in it, they have all colors, I'm going for copper:
https://www.skymall.com/mr/detail.htm?pid=102459479&c=102144077
I only hinted at wanting that grill every chance I got, without flatout asking for it (she gets tons of rewards from nature of her job) and just today she said the magic words, "oh you want that? Of course just show me how to get it"

Anyway, since I am getting the grill for free, I don't mind spending a bit of coin to upgrade/change things out. What are your opinions of PCI vs. SS 7mm rods? I know the 7mm rods should last longer, and from other threads I hear they heat up quicker? But lose heat quicker?

Just want some opinion on whether I should spend the money on PCI grates. I cook steak a bit. I do it many ways. Cast Iron Skillet, over coals, and now probably over the gasser as well. Sear marks are a consideration.

Thanks for any help!

Get the PCI and never look back.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Get the PCI and never look back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Joe,

I agree with Bryan - get the PCI. You will be glad you did!

Ray

You guys sure know how to convince a feller, PCI grates it is! Maybe half half!
icon_biggrin.gif

Shame what I will do with the SS grates, they are worth some money no? Maybe sell them for about the price of the PCI grates. Or maybe the half half idea isn't so bad, split the differences down the middle.

Won't take so long to heat up as all PCI grill, won't lose heat so fast as an all SS grill, and I get sear marks etc. But it sure would look funny.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:

Shame what I will do with the SS grates </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never put mine in the Summit Gold D when I put it together. Assembled the grill and went out to HD and bought the PCI grates. Love them things.
icon_wink.gif

Good choice on the PCI grates. You'll love the great grill marks they give. I like them so much I went and got a pair to use on top of the grates in the kettles.

Joe

My 20 cents worth is whilst the PCI grates are good. I prefer the SS 7 mm grate. Perfect grill marks same as PCI, hold the heat real well, but last longer and easy to clean. Either way the EP320 is a awesome weapon of choice. I am envious that you are getting a copper one, in Australia we only have black available..

Regards

The black one is so nice too, and the blue one. Only the Green doesn't do it for me, but c'mon, how often do you get copper?

Thanks for the advice. I may in fact have a face off, see which one sears better and faster.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back