"Should I Vacuum Package Food at Home?" Free PDF *****

Interesting read, thank you, Rita. Up until now, I had been using my vacuum sealer mostly for my beer brewing hobby and storing hops. However, lately I've been using it more and more for bbq and other foods that I freeze so this article is good input for my procedures. I do tend to wipe my sealer with Star San (food grade acid sanitizer) before a session which looks like a good procedure based on this article.

Rita,
Excellent post. I don't have a vac sealer mainly because I only cook for the wife and me. Leftovers are at a minimum. I did however find your post most interesting.
Dave

Interesting to see that by removing those aerobic bugs that cause off odor, taste and color one encourages the growth of nasty anaerobic bugs such as those that cause botulism.

Bottom line that I got is - even if you vac the food, you still need good, sanitary food handling techniques.

The article seems to be aimed at people that are thinking of using vacuum packaging (instead of canning) for preservation of food.

After the scary stuff, the article states "Traditionally recommended freezing procedures and packaging methods, if carried out carefully, will produce high quality products with reasonably lengthy storage times."

I'll still be using my sealer along with my freezer after reading this article.

Back