Maverick 732 Smoker Probe Mounting Question...

Spencer P

TVWBB Member
I just received my Maverick 732 yesterday. It came with a metal clip to attach to the grate and you pass the smoker probe through it to hold it in place.

Here is my question, I have read on other posts that some are using corks and pieces of wood to hold the probes. Is this so that the heat won't travel from the grate up to the clip and into the probe to give a false reading or did they not receive this clip?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks...

Spencer

No they use corks/taters becouse they lost the clip
icon_wink.gif

The heat is only read by the tip of the probe.

Ah, thanks for the reply, that makes sense. I couldn't understand what all the corks and potatoes were about! LOL!

Spencer

My thinking is that the probe should be measuring air temp. If you clip the probe to the grate and the clip is metal and the probe is metal, you might be getting a false reading of grate temp rather than air temp at the grate. I'm not sure if it matters since the probe is metal anyway but I do clip the probe to a skewer sticking out of the meat. I figure it if I do one thing and stick with it, it doesn't matter where the probe is.

I agree, that from an engineering standpoint, two metals of dissimilar characteristics will conduct at different rates, Thats how bimetallic therms work after all.

However, the thermister is at the very end of the pit probe. Clipping it with an alligator clip NOT TOUCHING that last 1/2 inch area is fine.

Silicon Probe Trees are avail by BBQ Guru and are designed to solve this problem for about $17.

Back